Advanced Search

Chosera Stones

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

This is the beauty of having a variety of accessory stones available for the WEPS! The bottom line is that while all the equipment works, they all work differently (with some arguably “better” than others), and that is the fun part.

It won’t be long before many of us from this thread are found naked, rocking in the corner of a room, mumbling something about ceramics and Choseras while sucking our thumbs because went crazy from the possibilities while trying to figure out the best progression to use for a particular knife…

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

That’s right. With the WEPS there is more than one way to sharpen a knife. I take some to 1k chosera, some to 5k, some to 10k some just ceramics only. So I have a lot of flexility.

The other thing to remember with only getting one or two sets of Choseras is you can always add more later.

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Replies: 393

It won’t be long before many of us from this thread are found naked, rocking in the corner of a room, mumbling something about ceramics and Choseras while sucking our thumbs because went crazy from the possibilities while trying to figure out the best progression to use for a particular knife…:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

So…. YOU think that day is off in the FUTURE somewhere? 😉 Hmmm… Interesting…

Ken

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Having problems with the space bar… thumb is too slippery … I am cold too…the dogs don’t like me anymore…
    🙂
    👿

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

And oddly enough? Just noticed the room I’m in seems to have some sort of rubber material on the walls?

Jende Industries
    Participant

It won’t be long before many of us from this thread are found naked, rocking in the corner of a room, mumbling something about ceramics and Choseras while sucking our thumbs because went crazy from the possibilities while trying to figure out the best progression to use for a particular knife…:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

So…. YOU think that day is off in the FUTURE somewhere? 😉 Hmmm… Interesting…

Ken[/quote]

Well, I’ve been there several times over the past few years… Some of you guys are newer patients at the rabbit hole ward… 👿 :silly: :silly:

Jende Industries
    Participant

I wrote this article in January 2010 concerning the philosophical reasons for using customized stones for the Edge Pro – The WEPS wasn’t on the radar at the time, but you can easily argue the same things at this point for the WEPS, and it’s pretty much the essence of what is beginning to be discussed here about the subtle, yet tangible differences between the different stones.

Enjoy!

http://jendeindustries.wordpress.com/2010/01/30%5B/url%5D

Charles Turner
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 6

I bought and received my PPII about three months ago and I added a few stones, I have both of the ceramics and I also bought a couple of sets of blanks that I have taped strips of 1.5k,2k,3k,and5k wet or dry sandpaper to. I really want to try some of the water stones but I am not real sure that I can achieve a sharper edge, and I can’t really afford to spend the money. I passed a hanging hair test but I am still seeing a few scratches with the naked eye. I have read a lot of guys doing over a hundred strokes and I am not coming close to that. Maybe 50… I have been going to the sandpaper right after both ceramics and it starts getting pretty close to mirror almost immediately. I am still seeing those little pesky scratches. Do I need to invest in Choseras or just bump up the strokes?

Jende Industries
    Participant

It depends….

I’d start with doing hundreds of strokes at each level first…

If you are going for function, you are fine – a scratch here and there in the bevel is not the end of the world (for some, perhaps…) However, if you want the aesthetic as well, you will need to invest time at every level, no matter which products you use. Of course, the Shaptons and Choseras will make things more perfect, IMO, but you are still investing time. For example, when I prepare an edge for my microscope pics, It needs to be flawless, and it takes a good 1-2 hours for the entire progression. Normal sharpening takes about 10-20 minutes, though.

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Replies: 393

I wrote this article in January 2010 concerning the philosophical reasons for using customized stones

Tom, I’m not ure I got the advantages of using Choseras on a Harley. Could you expand on that? 😉

Ken

Charles Turner
    Participant

Thank you for the input. After I posted that, I went back and started with the 800 diamonds and spent an hour going through the remainder of the progression on my Spyderco. I was rewarded with an INCREDIBLY sharp edge, but still not as perfect visually as I am wanting. When I get some extra money I think I will get a set of choseras. Do you have any advice on which set of paddles I should get if only one set is realistically what I can afford at this point?

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

If you want to continue to use your sandpaper to 5000 (I assume this is P5000)..
    The next logical progression would be a set of 3K/5K. If you are just going for appearance.
    For more utility, as in sharpness, edge refinement, and to get away from the sandpaper, maybe a 1K/3k.
    I know that Bob has recommended 800/3K, but that seems a pretty big jump to me. I have not tried it though, so this is conjecture. You do have the ceramics, so going back to the Chosera 1K, after using the Ceramics, for refining the reflectivity of the edge should be sufficient. This should also reduce the amount of work you need to do at 3K.

The thing is, this is difficult, the answer as always could be “it depends”. Maybe a set of 5K/10K would work after doing what you already are doing. For myself, I would have to just try it. The 5K/10K will also be the most expensive option. I can tell you that the “mirror” starts to really happen with the 10K Chosera.

I must say though, I use the 1K and 3K stones much more often that I do the 5K/10K. The latter are used only for maybe 20% of the knives that I sharpen. I would probably go with the former if I could buy just one set. You can always add the others down the road if you find your feet still sticking out of the rabbit hole …
    🙂

BTW

Keep in mind that P5000 paper is (should be if it is P5000) rated as having 5 micron abrasive. (where did you get P5000 paper??) The 3K Chosera is rated at 4 microns. Beyond that though, and maybe more important in your case (looking for “pretty”) the chosera will give you more polish and certainly fewer left over scratches than any abrasive paper in that grit range.

BTW, when I first got my WEPS, I used sand papers and followed them by the 3M lapping films down to sub-micron grit. I got some nice edges, but it was a hassle. If you can get to where you are using just stones, it will make things much easier for you.

Charles Turner
    Participant

I was thinking that the 1k/3k would be the best bet but I wanted some input before I spent the money. At this point I am only going for appearance. I am extraordinarily happy with the sharpness at this point. I do have some lapping film but I may need to experiment a little more with it. It is a hassle though! I do want the 5k/10k but that price tag is a bit scary to me. Thank you for your time responding.

I found the 3k and 5k sandpaper on ebay. I think I got 5 sheets for 4 bucks or so plus shipping.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.