Advanced Search

Chosera Stones

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Mark Massie
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 37

All,

I have read through many posts on the forum concerning Chosera Stones and have found some pertinent information as to what I am looking for but if one had a goal of producing a mirror edge while balancing cost of stones with a limitation of purchasing only two sets of Chosera Stones (to reduce costs), what grit stones would you recommend considering I have the PPII and both sets of ceramic stones. Any and all feedback welcome, but would love to hear from Clay, Ken, Philp and Tom and anyone else with experience with the Chosera stones.

Thanks,

Mark

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Hi Mark,
    About two months ago I asked kind of the same question? I put up a thread chosera vs ceramics? After reading a lot of input I called Bob Nash (Oldawan Tools) whom I bought the WEPS Pro pack from. He suggested a custom package for me and I bought them. It is one paddle with a 1K and 2k Chosera and a second paddle with 3k and 5k chosera.
    I’m the chief bottle washer at a public shooting range and just about everyone I know has a EDC. So I’m getting the opportunity to work on a lot of different knifes? The most popular comment when I’m done with the 5k is “it looks like chrome”.
    Now if you put the blade under 40x magnification You can see some faint remains of scratches. I have yet after a lot of strokes (hours) eliminate all of the scratches. But bottom line those that don’t know to the difference a seriously impressed with the chrome looking finish!
    Choseras have a problem in that they are messy compared to the ceramics or diamonds cause they need to be wet to use. But(I bought the ceramics just cause) they in my opinion are way better at cutting and finish.
    If you decide to go through with this adventure I would highly recommend you call Bob Nash at(505)570 2040 Good luck to you! I’m having a blast with them them!

Mark Massie
    Participant

Earnon,

Thank you very much for your reply and information. Sounds like you are getting plenty of experience with your new stones!

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Sounds like you are getting plenty of experience with your new stones!

Your welcome! I hope it helps the decision? Yeah about three to four knifes a day seems to be my average?

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

Even at 10,000, under 40x you’ll be able to see the lines. But to the naked eye, it’s a mirror

Ken

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Hey Mark,

(Since you have the ceramics) I would strongly suggest the 800/1k set. If you do a good job with 1k diamonds and even add the ceramics the 800 will pick up nicely. You get a mirror finish with the 1k Chosera. (some stropping may be needed to bring the shine out, but 1k leaves it super smooth). I often stop at 1k, stop with 5/3.5 and done. To go higher is really just chasing perfection in my opinion. I do chase perfection sometimes on special occasion knives. But for knives I actually use 1k Chosera is enough. With light pressure the 1k is near or at perfection with the naked eye. Like Ken said I can see scratch after 10k with a loupe. They are just a little smaller and farther apart. The 1k is my favorite stone, the feel and feedback is just awesome.

If you didn’t have ceramics and sharpened more for EDC use I might say get the 400/600’s.

If you get 2 sets, the get 400/600 and 800/1k. The 400/600 really cut well and I don’t think you get as much out of 2k/3k as the 400/600’s. If you get custom made paddles I would suggest a 1k for sure then get the other stones spaced around 1k skipping a grit of so. I.e. 400,600, 1k, 3k. or 600,1k, 3k, 5k.

Also I think 800/1k are good for touch ups if you don’t severely dull the knife.

Mark Massie
    Participant

Thank you all for your time and responses!

Mark

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Replies: 342

Hi Mark!

There are some excellent recommendations so far. B)

I’d stick with the diamond stocks up to 600 or 1K, then switch over to a Chosera 800/2K or 3K combo, and a 5K/10K.

Depending on the steel, you should be able to get a slight mirror out of the 2K Chosera, and a better one out of the 3K. But more importantly, the Chosera 800 will get things nice and clean form the diamond scratches, and the 2K or 3K will put an excellent working edge. The 2K stone has a little give to it, it will take care of those more abrasion resistant stones with less hassle. The 3K is a little harder, and will give a little more precision out of it (I’m talking differences between OCD levels, here – you won’t go wrong with either).

Another option is the 1K/5K, which is more no-nonsense (but less OCD friendly :blink: ). It will require a little more effort when switching from the stock diamonds, and when finishing on the 5K (just a couple more minutes, really). I wouldn’t recommend a 800/5K, although you could if you really wanted to.

The real shine happens off the 10K, IMO. I find the 5K Chosera to aesthetically be a little “scratchy” on the surface for my personal tastes.

I hope this helps! BTW, Bob is a great guy, and won’t steer you wrong.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Mark,
    Tom knows these stones, I am not sure that you will find much better advice. Geo has been using the stones for awhile and seems to have come to the same conclusions that I have. Eamon made his decision and seems to be happy with his set. My personal experience tells me that, If I had to have just 4 grits, it would have to be the 800/1000 and the 3K/5K (though the 2K/5K would be be almost indistinguishable for most sharpeners).
    If you can do it, even if it takes a while, I would try to get the whole set. I use the 400/600 set quite a bit. I also use my 10K on around 25% of the knives that I sharpen. It took me at least a year to buy the entire progression, but I am happy that I did. If you plan to do that, I would consider buying them mounted the way that clay sells them. This follows the logical progression through the grits and results in fewer paddle changes.

BTW the “Chosera 800/2K or 3K combo, and a 5K/10K” sounds intriguing, but I really like the 1K stone…
    It would give you the best polish on the top end though… and keep your two polishers on the same handle.

Decisions, decisions…:ohmy:

Mark Massie
    Participant

Tom and Philip thanks for your input and recommendations. Also, thanks again to everywone for your time and recommendations. I ordered an 800/3000 and 5000/10000. I am sure I will like the results and if so, over time I can add additional combination of grits in the stones to fill the gaps.

Thanks you!

Mark

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Tom and Philip thanks for your input and recommendations. Also, thanks again to everywone for your time and recommendations. I ordered an 800/3000 and 5000/10000. I am sure I will like the results and if so, over time I can add additional combination of grits in the stones to fill the gaps.

Mark,
    I’m sure you will be happy with your decision. A couple weeks ago I ran across a few knifes that the diamonds were to much for. They caused small chips along the edge? So I called Bob Nash to order a 600/800 combo. Bob strongly suggested to me that I go with 400/800. This was to offset what I already have? I have not listened to Bob in the past and it has cost me money! So I listened to Bob.
    Last night after reading the thread I did a test? I started with my 400 and made a strong burr on both sides of the knife. I then cleaned up the knife with 120 strokes of the 800 and then 120 strokes of the 1000.
    Now this is just my opinion and with no offense to anyone! The knife has a really nice shine, But I don’t think it is anything that could not be done with the ceramics? I have to agree that the real shine happens after 1000. Now would the average guy with his edc be happy? Absolutely! Again with the but? It seems that you have the bug that we are talking about? I think you will be happy and as time and money come along add to the collection. I have already talked with Bob this morning and am getting the 10,K Just so I can see what everyone is talking about? I bought my collection ass backwards but who was to know I would jump off the deep end? Have fun!
    Eamon

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Eamon said:

Now this is just my opinion and with no offense to anyone! The knife has a really nice shine, But I don’t think it is anything that could not be done with the ceramics?

Of course, no offense taken. Just curious though, have you tried going from the 800 chosera to the 1200/1600 ceramics and directly comparing the results using just the 1K Chosera? They do say that everyone has an opinion on most subjects. I tend to pay more attention to those opinions that are based on good experimental data.

I think that had you done this comparison (which I have done on may occasions…as in a bunch 😉 ), you would see some very clear differences. The ceramic stones from WEPS have their place in certain progressions, and I use mine all of the time, but their effect on steel is quite different.. It simply is not possible to get the same effect with the ceramics as with the Chosera stones.

I would buy that you can get equivalent levels of sharpness, or maybe suitability for some cutting task… but not overall finish and scratch patterns!

Just my opinion…

Phil

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Eamon said:

Now this is just my opinion and with no offense to anyone! The knife has a really nice shine, But I don’t think it is anything that could not be done with the ceramics?

Of course, no offense taken. Just curious though, have you tried going from the 800 chosera to the 1200/1600 ceramics and directly comparing the results using just the 1K Chosera? They do say that everyone has an opinion on most subjects. I tend to pay more attention to those opinions that are based on good experimental data.
    [/quote]

Phil,
    Very cool test! I never even thought of going chosera then ceramics? My test was based on 1k diamonds onto 12/16k ceramics. I will be looking for something fun to do today and will get back to you with my opinion?
    Eamon

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Replies: 393

Just my opinion…

…. and mine 😉

Ken

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Just my opinion…

…. and mine 😉

Ken[/quote]

…. and mine too 😛

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.