Advanced Search

Chosera Stone Use

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mark Massie
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 37

Hello Everyone,

All, I am looking for some some suggestions/advice on using my new Chosera stones. I have 800/3000 and 5000/10000 Chosera stones. I profiled a knife using the 600 diamonds to a very nice even and smooth bevel (very flat and perfect not considering the scratches) and then proceeded through the Choseras. On the left side, the bevel is great and I am extremely pleased with the results, but the right side has bright and cloudy spots all over the bevel. I went back and flattened the edge with the diamond stones and started over ensuring I was using very light pressure with the 800 Chosera stone and the same thing is happening. I have ensured that the 13 degree edge has been maintained using the angle guage with each stone. Is it possible that the stones already need to be lapped during their first use? Anyone have any suggestions on why this is happening? I realize not seeing the bevel makes things very difficult to diagnose, but I would appreciate any advise you all may be willing to offer based on your experience. I have watched Tom’s videos on using the Chosera stones on the WEPS as well as his video on lapping and they are very helpful.

I realize I may just need more experience with using the stones to obtain the appearance I am seeking, but any tips on how to deeply shorten the learning curve on the Chosera stone use would be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time!

Mark

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

Are the 600s your finest diamonds? (sorry, can’t recall)

Typical usage (since diamonds scratch deeper than Choseras) is to go a step beyond, 1000 in this case, then “back up” to the 800 Choseras.

If that isn’t an option, just take more passes with the 800 Chosera, but it can be a lot more to get rid of the 600 diamond scratches.

Ken

Mark Massie
    Participant

Thanks Ken! Yes, I do have all of the diamonds and both sets of ceramics. Since this was my first attempt with the Choseras, I thought I would just see for myself how things turned out after the 600 diamonds. Just can’t figure out why the left side turned out great and the right side is not.

Thanks again,

Mark

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

Just can’t figure out why the left side turned out great and the right side is not.

Yeah, that’s weird. My first thought was your angle was off. With Choseras you need to check every stone every time because of variation of thickness. But you said you double checked that so I was thinking about what else could be going on…

Some folks have seen uneven wear left to right and attributed it to being right handed and that hand being stronger / more force.

Along the same lines, perhaps one set of 600 scratches were deeper?

Kinda grasping here 😉

Ken

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

My advice, I would always go to 1000 diamonds before starting the Choseras. I have had cloudy places after the Choseras (but never only on one side). Just a little stopping brings the shine right out. I always lap every time, just few passes of stone on stone with water to make a little slurry. I figure this also helps keep them flat.

Are you letting them get too dry? I don’t so I don’t know if that would cause your problem. Maybe someone else can speak to what happens when they get too dry. By dry I mean I keep them moist to the touch, but not dripping wet.

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

I always lap every time, just few passes of stone on stone with water to make a little slurry. I figure this also helps keep them flat.

I do exactly this. It’s actually one of those little benefits (there are several) over that other popular system ;). They always toute cost as they are just buying one of each stone. But, long term, that’s a wash as two stones last twice as long. AND since you have 2 of each, you have this easy option as SOP.

Ken

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

After spending the last couple of days trying to solve an internet issue… I metaphorically figured out it was the knife, not the stone. So, maybe try another knife? I know from past experience that some knives can have just enough of an imperfection in them, and that waterstones seems to bring them out.

I also agree with the others… using your finest diamond before switching should help.

Xbander
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 68

Interesting topic,
    I have done 100 + knives or more only about 10 that I pushed all the way to the Chosere.
    I tend to see the right side take the refined look before the left. I assumed it was because I am right handed.
    The right side is under better control. What I have learner is to watch the left side closser.
    Will spend a number of strokes more if needed on the left, with the Ceramic and Chosere stones.
    I also agree with the others, stropping tends to clean up the difference. I have the Rue w/ .125 spray
    And Nano cloth, most of the time the .5 with the leather is the one I use for those last few passes.
    For some reason that does the trick.

James

Mark Massie
    Participant

Thanks for all of the input folks, it seems I just need more time and experience with using the Chosera stones.

Thanks,

Mark

Russell Creager
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 3

Did you make any progress? If you haven’t found a solution I would try adjusting the angle. I know you said you checked them but the angle gauge is usually only accurate to .1 degrees. I have found with high grit stones the angle has to be absolutely perfect to hit the bevel flat. Then the stones are so fine that they aren’t going to remove metal fast enough to make up for small changes in angle. Try using the sharpie trick and make micro adjustments until you are getting perfect swipes.

Clifford Begnaud
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 12

I’ll share a tip I got from Bob Nash of Oldawan; when switching from diamond to chosera, start at the same grit. For example, my smallest grit diamond stone is 600, I then go directly to 600 Chosera. The chosera cleans up the inconsistent scratch pattern of the diamond stone and provides a very nice even scratch pattern on which to proceed. The 600 does it’s work very quickly, so you don’t spend a lot of time trying to remove large scratches with your finer stones. This trick has greatly reduced the amount of time it takes to sharpen a knife, with improved results. The 600 chosera is aggressive, it’s one of my favorite stones.
    Contact Bob, or Clay about a handle set with just the 600 grit chosera stones, not very expensive.
    best regards,
    Cliff

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

I actually go further than that. I go down a level. If my finest diamond was a 600, I’d back up to 400 Chosera.

Ken

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.