Advanced Search

Choosing a fairly full WE setup – Requesting input

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Choosing a fairly full WE setup – Requesting input

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Tom, what is your advise on using them once the cutting you need is done? Do you use them soaked or damp or ? I keep a spray bottle handy and when the stone has become “loaded” I then spray the stone wet then mix the the sludge with my finger to a loose grim then wipe them clean with a rag and spray them again with clean water as to start new.
    I got this from Phil Pastor on an old thread here. He was the “old timer” on the board so I figured he knew? How says you? :unsure:

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

Hi Eamon!

I usually just spritz my stones as I’m setting up the knife for sharpening. And since I usually begin with the diamonds, I’ve got a few minutes before the Choseras are needed. When I’m ready for them, I give them another spritz and start working. Some people swear they work better after 5 minutes of soaking, but whatever works for you is fine so long as the surfaces are wet when you use them.

As I use them (I generally don’t use a slurry) I will add only a drop of water or so to keep the black paste that forms alive. Keeping the paste on the stone slows down the cutting action and increases polishing. Since the heavy sharpening was usually done on the diamonds, I want to bring out the Chosera’s polishing properties. If I want more aggression, like on the 400, 600 & 800, I will wash the paste off completely and use the stone clean.

After use, I will lap the stones and let them dry over night on a clean towel – I lay the paddle down on the towel, not the stones. I like to make sure that if there are any water drops in the hole for the arms, it is dry before I pack up the stones for storage – usually about 12-36 hours.

I live in a very humid area (80-05% all year) and for comparison, my full size Choseras take about 4-5 days to dry out completely. I put them on their side on a paper towel to help draw out the water. When the paper towel is dry again, I know the stones are, too.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I had a friend who went to gunsmithing school in Colorado (CO School of Trades). He kept all of his stones (all Arkansas and a few synthetics) in a pan of mineral spirits or WD-40. The soak kept metal particles from becoming embedded. Didn’t need much honing oil.

Come to think of it, I used a lot of honing oil until I bought my WEPS. I was going to get a new bottle from Jantz but don’t need to anymore. S

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I had a friend who went to gunsmithing school in Colorado (CO School of Trades). He kept all of his stones (all Arkansas and a few synthetics) in a pan of mineral spirits or WD-40. The soak kept metal particles from becoming embedded…

Don’t do this with Choseras!!! :ohmy: :ohmy:

Here’s what comes with the full size stones…

(Thought I’d show this since it mentioned the crazing that may occur.)

… although I’ve found they work pretty well by just spraying them initially, and keeping them wet during sharpening with the occasional spray.

Attachments:
    John Haley
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 32

I’ve done 5 knives now, each of a different metal… today’s was a slightly re-profiled Busse with Infi. Now that the stones and Roo are getting broken in, the whole process is easier, and the blades even sharper.

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Tasty looking knife.

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Mmmm,mmm! Now that’s what I’m talking about Will! What an excellent edge mate. Well done! It just gets better and better as those stones hit their stride after a little breaking in. B)

Best regards
    Leo

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.