Advanced Search

Ceramic Stones Question

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Abrasives Ceramic Stones Question

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Steve Swanke
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 0

My Wicked Edge 1200 grit ceramic stone (blue stone and grey platen) sounds considerably finer and feels considerably smoother than my 1600 grit (white ceramic stone and white platen). Both stones are clean and broken in. Why would this be? Since I use the 1200 grit stone before the 1600 grit stone, my intuition tells me the 1600 grit should feel and sound finer.

Thank you.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I had exactly the same sense, that the 1600 sounded and felt coarser than the 1200. But when I examined the results under a 200X microscope, it was clear that the 1600 was a finer grit than the 1200. Even so, it’s hard to ignore your instincts. Although I’ll frequently finish a blade with the 1000’s, I never finish with the 1600’s. I’ll always go on to the strops or to the new microfines.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Funny you are not the first person to report these findings? I too thought the same thing? To the point where I was not impressed with them and did not use them for a long time. Then I bought the Micro fines ceramics and they got me in the habit of using them again.
    An old timer here on the WE taught me when I was new to the WE that all the stones in the WE catalog have their place? Try cutting phone book paper in all four directions. I think you will hear and feel the difference with this test? If you are dissatisfied with them you can put them up for sale here on the board and I’m sure they will get snapped up very quickly! :ohmy:
    Good luck and remember to always have fun! :woohoo:

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Funny you are not the first person to report these findings?

Yep, I recall that I posted the same question when I got my ceramic stones, two years ago or so B) . In the end it appeared they were correctly labelled. :cheer:

The world is round: an earlier threat is here.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

Ive never had much luck with the 1200/1600 stones. Im on my my 2nd or 3rd set and have come to the conclusion that if there was another option to take their place in the progression id go with that.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.