Advanced Search

Carbon Fiber Guide Rods

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance MODS Carbon Fiber Guide Rods

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Gary79852
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 1

im having trouble locating 6.5mm (1/4″) polished Carbon Fiber rods for sale. I’ve read about them a few times, but I can’t find them.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Gary, I’m using one of  a couple sets that are being prototype tested now:

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/gSi2Muj2REi8CkQp/?mibextid=oFDknk

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Mark Brooks
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 2

Gaty, I’m using one of a couple sets that are being prototype tested now: https://www.facebook.com/share/v/gSi2Muj2REi8CkQp/?mibextid=oFDknk

Do you by any chance know if there are any on AMZ, lost my FB acc years ago and don’t really want to reg just to buy a rod…

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

The only replacement guide rods can be purchased from WE: (they offer two styles and several lengths).

15" Guide Rods

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Mcmaster Carr sells carbon fiber rods which you could thread yourself if you get a 1/4″-28 die and die handle.
    Carbon fiber rods are quite expensive at $50 plus shipping for a 48″ length.

They also sell rods in Garolite, which I believe is the equivalent of G10 and has some lubricity to it.  It sells for $16 per 48″ rod.

I made my rods from precision stainless rods and I have two sets: one at about 11″ and another at 18″ for when I double-stack my low angle adapters to sharpen my Japanese knives to 8 dps.   You only need three or move turns of the thread.  A few more if you want to use a jam nut.

On second thought, I don’t know how stiff Garolite would be.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by tcmeyer.
    1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.