Advanced Search

“Calibration Points” of the Wicked Edge…

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Thoughts/Theories/Science Related to Sharpening “Calibration Points” of the Wicked Edge…

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I added this to the Wiki… thought I’d post it here for some feedback. One thing I’d like to add is a “quick and dirty” rule for adjusting the angle based on height.. something like “1 deg. for every X in. in height”, that you can use to approximate the angle without an angle gauge. If anyone has a good idea, let me know!

The Wicked Edge angles, like all angle controlled sharpeners, are based on certain “calibration points”. Being aware of these points will help in determining how to setup your knife and angles.

* Height: The angles are based on a knife that extends 5/8 inch above the top of the clamp. For a knife that is higher, the angle sharpened will be smaller than indicated.
    * Width: The angles are based on a knife that is no wider than .125 inches. For wider knives, adjust the ”’right angle only”’ out 1 degree for every .125 in. in thickness. (This is an approximation, for example a knife that is slightly wider, say .130 in. probably doesn’t need this adjustment)
    * Length: There is no calibration for length, since the angle does not change along the straight portion of an edge. So always set the knife based on the contact of the stone to the belly/tip area.

If you have a digital angle gauge, using this in combination with the above guide, will help to quickly and accurately set your angles. Even with out the angle gauge, using this guide will help “dial in” the correct angle.

Always record your settings, so you can quickly and easily repeat the previous sharpening!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.