Advanced Search

Bevel angles

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Steve
    Participant
    • Topics: 21
    • Replies: 44

Hi,guys,

After reading some posts in here, I have noted that my Spyderco Endura 4 has two ver different bevels, the right bevel is much larger then the left one, almost twice the size.

How would you advise I correct this, just work on the smallest bevel in order to correct it and make them both the same?

Thanks for your help guys.

Steve

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

There’s a few issues that could be going on here… If you have never sharpened it before then this was done at the factory, which I believe is done by hand on a belt sander.

So either they:

– removed too much metal from one side and made them uneven
    – they lowered the angle on the wider side

You can fix it by:

– Making sure that the angle on either side of your edge is uniform
    – Removing more metal from the shorter side to make them equal.

Hope this helps, keep us posted!

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Just a quick bit to add…

I have a Spyderco Delica which came with a 17 degree bevel on one side and 24 on the other, so it’s not unheard of. I got it back to 20/20 by changing the angle a little each time for the first four or five sharpenings.

But you should be advised that Spyderco’s full-flat-grind causes problems in clamping them in the vise and this comes up at least once a month on this forum. FFG knives will not clamp securely in the normal manner. They’ll lean to one side or the other, or move left-right-left as you try to sharpen them since they’re only held right at the spine. You need to either make sure your blade is actually mounted with its axis vertical, using shims or padding, or clamp the blade flat to the fixed (left) jaw and kick the right jaw out at the bottom so that it clamps flat on the other face at the top. When you do this, you need to account for the left-hand lean angle in your left and right rod settings. With my Delica, the total angle between the two faces is 3.5 degrees, so the blade leans 1.75 degrees to the left. I set the left rod to 18.25 degree and the right one to 21.75 degrees for a total included bevel angle of 40.

If you’re clamping flat of the left side, the outer face of the right hand jaw, instead of showing the normal (vertical) angle of about 13 degrees, should read 13 plus the total face angle of your blade (3.5 degrees in the case of my Delica) for a clamped angle of at least 16.5 degrees. This will tell you that you’re actually clamped flat and securely on the right hand jaw. Does that make sense to you?

Oh, and line your vise with a piece of tape or something to keep the jaws from scratching the face of your nice knife. I use a little square of the blue Scott Shop Towels. But I learned the hard way. My Delica shows the scars.

Steve
    Participant

Cheers thank for you help guys, much appreciated.

Steve.

blacksheep25
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 68

I got it back to 20/20 by changing the angle a little each time for the first four or five sharpenings.

I was going to say that it’s a waste of blade life unless it’s causing your problem while cutting, so I like TCMEYER’s solution to adjust it over several sharpenings.

Also, they have asymmetrical grinds, which are slightly different that chisel/zero grinds; you could think of this Strider SLCC Asymmetrical grind as a “partial” chisel/zero grind.

http://www.monkeyedge.com/Strider-Knives-Custom-Mick-Strider-Custom-Coated-p/sk1039.htm

Steve
    Participant

Does different bevel angles affect and lower blade sharpness and Also the edge durability for lasting Long ?

Cheers guys

Steve

Josh
    Participant

Just a quick bit to add…

I have a Spyderco Delica which came with a 17 degree bevel on one side and 24 on the other, so it’s not unheard of. I got it back to 20/20 by changing the angle a little each time for the first four or five sharpenings.

But you should be advised that Spyderco’s full-flat-grind causes problems in clamping them in the vise and this comes up at least once a month on this forum. FFG knives will not clamp securely in the normal manner. They’ll lean to one side or the other, or move left-right-left as you try to sharpen them since they’re only held right at the spine. You need to either make sure your blade is actually mounted with its axis vertical, using shims or padding, or clamp the blade flat to the fixed (left) jaw and kick the right jaw out at the bottom so that it clamps flat on the other face at the top. When you do this, you need to account for the left-hand lean angle in your left and right rod settings. With my Delica, the total angle between the two faces is 3.5 degrees, so the blade leans 1.75 degrees to the left. I set the left rod to 18.25 degree and the right one to 21.75 degrees for a total included bevel angle of 40.

If you’re clamping flat of the left side, the outer face of the right hand jaw, instead of showing the normal (vertical) angle of about 13 degrees, should read 13 plus the total face angle of your blade (3.5 degrees in the case of my Delica) for a clamped angle of at least 16.5 degrees. This will tell you that you’re actually clamped flat and securely on the right hand jaw. Does that make sense to you?

Oh, and line your vise with a piece of tape or something to keep the jaws from scratching the face of your nice knife. I use a little square of the blue Scott Shop Towels. But I learned the hard way. My Delica shows the scars.

great ideas here! or you can do this as one last option… quick and easy.

Josh
    Participant

Does different bevel angles affect and lower blade sharpness and Also the edge durability for lasting Long ?

Cheers guys

Steve

not at all… the inclusive angle is what matters.

JS
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 109
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.