Advanced Search

Best finish to use??

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Best finish to use??

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Steve
    Participant
    • Topics: 21
    • Replies: 44

Hi guys,

Ive had the Wicked edge for a couple of year’s and love it.

Thing is I can never really figure out what it the best edge to settle on.  I love sharpening them like a mirror finish and slashing phone book paper and shavings sharp with it etc, but these edges don’t seem to last long.

My main purpose is to skin rabbits, pheasants and duck etc.   I have tried and really toothy finish also like a 400 grit finish.

What in your opinion from you more experienced guys think is the best angle edge and finish for my spyderco Endura 4 for my needs.

I want a very sharp knife but I want it to last and not go blunt after a couple of rabbit’s etc.

What finish do you think would be best?

And advise guys

Steve

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

>Hi guys,>I’ve had the Wicked edge for a couple of years and love it.  Thing is I can never really figure out what it the best edge to settle on. I love sharpening them like a mirror finish and slashing phone book paper and shavings sharp with it etc, but these edges don’t seem to last long.  My main purpose is to skin rabbits, pheasants and duck etc.  I have tried a really toothy finish also like a 400 grit finish.  I want a very sharp knife but I want it to last and not go blunt after a couple of rabbit’s etc.  And advise guys.  

Hope you don’t mind me cleaning up your post…

I don’t get much heavy cutting use anymore, so I can’t testify as to which edge is best and lasts longest.  But since you’re  open to trying different options, I’d suggest trying a polished bevel (maybe 3 micron) at maybe 18 dps, then go to 20 dps and with only three or four very light strokes per side, create a toothy microbevel using your 800 or 1000-grit stones.

Toothy edges work best with very tough or slippery materials.  The polished bevels greatly reduce friction and promote penetration.  Consider that a polished edge will slide right over a nylon rope with very little penetration.  A little “tooth” will dig in very nicely.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Steve
    Participant

Thanks for your reply buddy.  I’ve had a real good play tonight and I’m still a bit lost tbh.   I tried a 1000 grit edge, it looked lovely and slashed news paper effortleesly, I chopped up two pheasant breaststroke and diced then up on a site plastic chopping board.  After two pheasant breast it would no longer slash paper and would not shave the hair on my air.  It’s as if the edge just blunten very easily.  The knives is a Spyderco Endura 4 with VG10 steel so is should be better then that.  I also tried it with a minor bevel as per one of Clays youtube video’s, I must have done Somthing wrong as it was just not sharp.

Or am I expecting to much, is this just normal, I mean the knife is still very sharp etc but I thought ams would like it to stay as sharp as it was for much longer.  I’ve heared of people skinning 2 elk before Thierry knife needs a touch up, I can bairly do 2 chicken breasts lol.

Any help guys?

Many thanks

Steve

dulledge
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 183

I chopped up two pheasant breaststroke and diced then up on a site plastic chopping board.

I replaced my wife’s favorite plastic boards with softer silicone boards. Knives stay sharp much longer.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant

When you say you chopped up two pheasant breasts, are you cutting the ribs?  As opposed to carefully filleting them?  Bone is death on sharp blades.

Yes, silicone boards are better than hard plastic for your best kitchen cutlery.

Steve
    Participant

<!–more–>You know what, you may be onto Somthing there.  Perhaps the plastic chopping board is dulling the edge, the knife does seem to bite into it and cause a lot of drag. I’ll dig out my other chopping board and see that makes any difference.

Like I said I really love the 1000 grit edge but only if it would last.

Thanks fellas

Steve

tcmeyer
    Participant

Steve:  Do you have a USB microscope?  It would be interesting to know if the reduction in “sharpness” is due to damage or wear.

You don’t say in your posts, but what is your bevel angle?  From discussions on this forum a couple of years ago, it’s been said that skinning knives should probably be sharpened to angles somewhat higher than with other knives; maybe 25-28 dps, to help avoid accidental cut-throughs of the hide.  This might also add some durability to an edge.  If such an edge doesn’t meet your general needs, maybe you ought to buy an actual skinning knife.

As to kitchen knives, I think it might be pretty typical for a knife that was really sharp right after the honing process to lose that really fine “edge” rather quickly, but still have a very sharp edge for continued use.  Slicing paper is fun, but is that degree of sharpness necessary?

The following comment isn’t necessarily relevant to this discussion, but it’s something I’ve been wanting to say and maybe I can tie it in…

I watched a video earlier this week, where a fellow compared the durability of a polished edge, compared to a toothy edge and the toothy edge won hands down.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8Nnnde3f2w

If you consider the principle of serrated edges, you’ll see that the serrations don’t just provide a “saw-like” cutting action.  The tips of the serrations protect the sharp edges of the valleys from abuse.  This is why so many steak knives are serrated.  The tips keep the valleys from wearing against the dinner plate.  We have a mindset that because serrated knives are difficult to sharpen, we hardly ever sharpen them, but the fact is that they last much longer because their sharp edges are protected so well.  A toothy edge is to some degree a cousin of the serrated edge.

Which is why I think the fellow’s simple test showed his toothy edge to last longer.  However, if the knife has a particularly soft edge and/or a rather acute sharpening angle, the “teeth” will soon be rolled over or broken off.  A before and after photo taken with a microscope might help to tell us what’s happening.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Wicked Edge Sharp Knives
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 22

I must really want to send you a reply because the first attempt went off into cyberspace when I tried to end it with a happy face icon.  I am typing this one in MS Word and will do a copy and paste.  Also, I am typing this one handed as I have bandages on three fingers on my left hand.  I need to remember to shut down my WEP efforts before the beer counts get too high.  Otherwise accidents can and do occur.

I too have wondered about the optimal edge for a given application.  </span>

While I love the Wicked Edge system for knives, I still use a belt grinder for axes, hatchets, mower blades and some big outdoor knives where I want a beveled edge.  I saved the packaging that came with my belt grinder because it has some recommended guidelines regarding recommended angle and grit for various applications.  I will summarize them:

For kitchen knives, it recommends an angle of 20 degrees.  For those knives used for cutting vegetables, it recommends a finishing grit of 22 microns=1ooo grit.  For those 20 degree kitchen knives used mostly for cutting meat, it recommends a finishing grit of 22mu = 3000 grit.</span>

For outdoor and pocket knives, it recommends an angle of 25 degrees.  For general purpose working knives, it recommends a finishing grit of 1000.  For hunting knives, it recommends a finishing grit of 3000.

Lately, on my bigger knives, somewhat akin to some of the outdoor knives with the back of the blade being serrated, I have put a toothy edge on the back 1/3 of the knife and a polished fine grit on the front 2/3 of the knife.

Another option is to use more than one knife/cutting tool.  For instance, when cleaning/skinning/preparing pheasants, one could use a heavy beefy knife with ~ 25 degree angle finished at ~ 400 grit for going through joints and neck and a smaller knife with ~20 angle finished to 1000+ grit for the rest of the cutting tasks…. Or you could substitute a meat cleaver for the bigger knife.  That way, your implements could go much longer between sharpening’s.

M1rrorEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 222

Another option is to use more than one knife/cutting tool.

I think this is the key.  I have found that one blade to perform all cutting tasks isn’t healthy for the blade.  My Grand Dad always said; “when the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail”.  While a single tool will do the job, a tool designed for the problem, will usually do it better.  For delicate cutting tasks skinny shiny bevels are great, but for cutting bone, however, they would fail miserably.  This is the case for even the small bones found in poultry and fish.

When processing meat of all types, one needs to consider “Steeling” during the transition of your tools from one blade to another and sometimes from one piece of meat to the other.  When a Knife edge contacts a hard object like cutting boards, counter-tops, or bone, the cutting edge can roll over and become dull.  This rolled edge will cause dragging and tearing and will not cut smoothly.

Using a precision guided Steel like a Razor Edge Mouse Trap found HERE  will greatly improve knife cutting performance between sharpening sessions.  First, you must have a keen edge to begin with, then use a smooth steel not a course one or you will erase the work done during sharpening.  Never steel rapidly but use slow, careful, very light studied strokes. The angle you start with at the hilt of the blade should be the same angle you end up with at the end of your stroke, when you are out at the tip of the blade-John Juranitch. Using the modern guided steels like what I have shared above makes this task easy.  You will find these in meat processing plants all over the United States.  Even some of the best butchers in the world had trouble perfecting a standard steeling technique with this tool the task becomes easy.  Watch a second source Video HERE.

I agree with the cutting board material being a major factor as well.  This is the most overlooked knife dulling mistake.  Although plastic is easy to clean and prevents the transmission of bacteria, cutting surfaces like wood are still far better at protecting not only the surface of your counter but the edge of a blade too.  I recommend using multiple cutting boards, one for meat (Sometimes even divided between one for poultry and beef), one for fish and one for vegetables.

Let me know if this is helpful!

Eddie Kinlen
    M1rror Edge Sharpening Service, LLC
    +1(682)777-1622

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Steve
    Participant

Hi guys, wow thanks for the in depth replies, very much appreciated.

Yeh its a Spyderco Endure 4 FFG blade with VG10 steel.

I have it sharpened to a 20dps edge and it sharpens up lovley, super sharp!  I have not been chopping through bine but slicing up pheasant and duck breasts, no bone cutting etc.  I tried the other night, I had it super super sharp, shaving hair and slashing phone book paper with ease, chopped up 3 pheasant breasts with no bone etc and tried the shaving and phone book paper ted and it would do neither.  Both bevels are defiantly  even and meat in space, it sharpens really easy, its just as if the blade wont hold and edge.  I am really thinking that the plastic kitchen chopping board may have something to do with it as it is hard plastic and when pushing through the meat you can feel the resistance cutting through the board, basically I’m starting to think that it is like cutting against a wall or concrete floor etc, same sort of thing I suppose!  Ill try and give the board a miss.

Like I said I really like the look and the way a 1000 grit finish cuts stuff from hair on arms, phone book paper and meat etc, just wish I could get it to last lol.

Ill give it another try and see if I can make heads nor tales out of it.  Ill try removing the chopping board from the equation to start from.

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated.

Steve

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I think there might be something else at play with your knife which is something that Cliff Stamp has been talking about for a long time – fatigued metal at the edge. When you’re sharpening, your drawing and stretching the metal to the edge and then often forming a burr. From there, the burr is folded back and forth many, many times, which causes work hardening and eventually micro-fracturing of the metal at the edge. It’s like bending a paper clip back and forth a few times. It becomes impossible to bend it multiple times in the same place and if you force it, you wind up breaking it fairly quickly. Cliff recommends “de-stressing” the metal by taking a stone laid flat, perpendicular to the actual edge and removing some of the metal to reveal structurally sound metal underneath. Once you’ve flattened the edge enough to expose new metal, then you begin rebuilding your bevels to reach an apex. If you have access to a high magnification loupe, you can create the apex without ever forming a burr. You have to color in the bevels and observe carefully, under magnification, when you are reaching the very edge. Stop when you can no longer see any marker and switch to the next higher grit and progress until you reach your desired finish.

Another thing you might try is to thin the blade a little by taking the angle down as low as you can and then add in a micro-bevel at an angle you like. A thinner blade means you need to use less force to penetrate through material. Less force will help with edge retention since force is the main enemy of sharpness.

If it were my knife, I think I’d try de-stressing the edge and then re-profiling to as low an angle as I can hit. I’d leave it there and use the knife for a while to observe how long the edge lasts. It might be interesting to keep some paper nearby where you are doing your meat prep. Every few strokes, clean the blade off and see how it does with the paper. You might learn something from it about what’s dulling the blade. Once you have a good sense of how long the edge lasted, add a very small micro-bevel only 1-2 degrees wider than the main bevel and test again. Keep adding micro-bevels every time you go to use the knife again and record your results. Eventually you’ll find the optimal edge geometry for that knife. After that, you can experiment with finishes i.e. toothy vs. polished. Doing both at once gives you too many variables to obtain any meaningful information.

-Clay

4 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.