Advanced Search

Best belt sander

Recent Forums Main Forum Best belt sander

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Readheads
    Participant
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 308

I want to supplement my WEPS with a variable speed belt sander for reprofiling quickly. The ones that the knife makers use seem to be overkill and the $100 models are not really appropriate (not variable speed, lack fixturing, etc). I looked at the Ken Onion types and would prefer a more rigid stand type.

What do you all use ?

sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

Have you looked at the AMK-75 sharpener? amktactical.com

Of the powered sharpener that I have seen this one looks like it may very well be the best. Cost is $650.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Have you looked at the AMK-75 sharpener? amktactical.com Of the powered sharpener that I have seen this one looks like it may very well be the best. Cost is $650.

That was the first one that came to my mind. I think it looks like a great product and I hope to own one some day.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Dwight Glass
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 89

I supplement my “Wicked Edge” with a “Tormek T7” bench grinder, then later I Think I might consider getting the “AMK-77” variable speed the vertical model belt grinder from amktactical.

graphite
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 101

Variable speed is going to run up the price significantly, I’m afraid. I have a 1×42 Delta SA180 (no longer made) and I consider it too fast for knives (1725 RPM fixed). There are pulley mods to slow it down but I haven’t bothered and I use it mainly for wood sanding. A few other manufacturers you might look into (I’m not sure if they have variable speed) are Kalamazoo industries, Grizzly, Harbor Freight has a cheap one, Lee Valley sells a model where you provide the motor so you could pick a slow speed motor, Wilton, Baileigh (has a $2200 variable speed model with 1″ wide belts), probably a few others I’m not recalling .

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Redheads I seen several YouTube videos about belt sanders/grinders that can be very helpful.  I believe there are after market variable speed controller boxes that can be adapted to a inexpensive single speed belt sander to make it practical for your needs keeping the investment down.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

sksharp
    Participant

The AMK-75 runs at 1000 RPM’s on the low side I believe. If I buy a powered sharpener I think that’s the one for me.

Readheads
    Participant

I am looking for something I can use for fixing big dings, dishes and major re-profiling relatively quickly and then putting the knife on WEPS to put on the perfect finished edge. I would want to use it at pop-up knife sharpening locations for a part time retirement job. I figure if I can handle anything they throw at me then I can be successful especially if I can figure how to also handle serrated knives.

I gotta think variable speed is a primary requirement. The AMK-75 videos while somewhat impressive (and inexpensive) worry me due to rigidity, chatter and size. I just want to get to the first burr and then go on the WEPS. Although maybe I should stick with WEPS from the start using the 50/80 stones and keep the Ken Onion Work Sharp in reserve (although it is sort of embarrassing). So far I am considering the ones below. I am leaning toward the one from sharpeningmadeeasy which has the brand Viel. You can buy the setup without the motor so you can get a variable speed motor. They also have a lot of attachments for unusual items. I’m pretty sure you can use a leather belt to sharpen serrated but am not sure how well that would work.

https://www.eastwood.com/multitool-2-x-36-inch-belt-grinder-attachment.html?mrkgcl=764&mrkgadid={_mrkgadid}&rkg_id=h-cddfe802c411f32ebf92ead6ba1ce290_t-1516561266&SRCCODE=PLA00040&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=bing&creative=10262021200&device=c&matchtype=e

Multi-tool-attachment

http://sharpeningmadeeasy.com/belt.htm

Viel

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-9031-8-Inch-21-Inch-Variable/dp/B00004YOH7/ref=pd_sim_469_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00004YOH7&pd_rd_r=ZP6B8E3JHPAV2GH92BRG&pd_rd_w=y7XXJ&pd_rd_wg=l7SBW&psc=1&refRID=ZP6B8E3JHPAV2GH92BRG

Makita

http://www.lehighvalleyabrasives.com/tools-and-equipment-flex-finger-belt-sander-lbs-1105-ve-lbs1105ve

Flex

Attachments:
    sksharp
    Participant

Hey redheads, Those machines aren’t knife sharpeners, they can be used for sharpening I suppose but you will have to come up with something for angle control if you want to sharpen at any particular angle to save time on the WE. The machines you are looking at are for grinding knives. From what I’m lead to believe with the knife grinders(belt sanders)that there is a huge selection for abrasives for the machines with 2 x 72″ belts and not so much with the smaller less popular grinders with different lengths and width belts. Also the shorter belt wear quickly when compared to the longer belts, because of the size but also it can be hard to find quality abrasives for some of the cheaper machines. This really depends on what you actually need in a grinder. Another question is power so make sure you get something that is not going to bog down if you need to work it hard at all because most of the portable or cheaper models down have an abundance of power. I think you will want at least an 1.5 hp motor with whatever you buy. The AMK-75 is for sharpening and in my mind maybe the best option for a powered sharpener there is, and I think it “could” be able to do small repairs  but it would be light duty for that for sure.

For knife grinders the AMK 77 and 73 are one of the best options in my mind but they are not cheap $1900 for the variable (77) and $1400 or so for the single speed or $1100 for the jig with no motor. There is an option to upgrade these two to a 2 hp motor for $75, as they come standard with a 1.5 horse motor.

I have talked with a few knife makers about the question of which grinder is the best and the question really is what you want it for and how much you are willing to spend to get what you need or want. The quote from the guys I’ve talked with seems to be, buy absolutely as much machine as you can afford from the get go and you won’t be sorry.

Marc H

Redheads, old Forum member, “tuffy braithwaite” was doing exactly what you suggest you’re intending to do, “Pop-Up Sharpening Stand.  He had a portable sander/grinder, along with his WEPS.  You may gain some perspective through contacting him.  I haven’t seen him post to the Forum in quite a while.  I don’t know if he’s still around and sharpening.  He used to post his pop-up sharpening adventure videos.  He may also have a YouTube Channel.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Readheads
    Participant

Again, I am not trying to sharpen, just want to clean up a “bad” chippy profile before WEPS with a good full length burr which can take 20 mins on WEPS.

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

FWIW, here’s tuffy’s YouTube channel.

https://m.youtube.com/user/gravediggermax

Readheads
    Participant

An interesting option for grinding really messed up edges prior to going on WEPS. It has a really quiet DC variable speed motor from 400 RPM to 4000 RPM. I called them and you can get the base unit (without the 2 diamond wheels) plus the belt sander attachment for ~$1,200. I would then get a set of buffer/leather wheels for the other side.  Small place innovating like Clay’s shop.

https://cuttermasters.com/product-category/tool-grinders/

Tradesman2

Attachments:
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H

Again, I am not trying to sharpen, just want to clean up a “bad” chippy profile before WEPS with a good full length burr which can take 20 mins on WEPS.

Seems like an awfully expensive, awfully sophisticated, awfully nice, fine piece of equipment just to clean up a “bad” chippy profile??

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Readheads
    Participant

I have more than that invested in my WEPS. And if I want to do major reprofile/repair on a blade it takes forever on WEPS and will wear out my diamond handles faster. This machine can also handle serrated knives using the techniques of  the “Patron of Saint of Knives”:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPy84c_ie0g

I plan on having a few different wheels on the grinder side also for taking out scratches, polishing and thinning knives. This is all for kitchen knives. I know plenty of folks who would love to have their kitchen knives returned to as new condition. This machine is whisper-like quiet and can run at less that 500 rpm. It is also a high end constructed unit which other brands cost 2-3X more. I would love to use it also in my amateur wood shop.

Not trying to do a sell job but after looking at lots of possibilities I though I would share. To me its about increased capability and speed especially if I am going to try this out as a PT retirement job.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.