Advanced Search

Benchmade Emerson

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Rich
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 4

Hello-

New user that recently picked up a WE Go kit. I love it.

I need guidance on how to sharpen an old BM Emerson I have. Single side edge.

Any help appreciated,

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the Wicked Edge forum, Rich.

I need guidance on how to sharpen an old BM Emerson I have. Single side edge.

I did a quick on-line search and found several blade grind configurations for the BM Emerson knives.  It will help the forum to help you if you could post photos of your actual knife. If you could include close-ups of both blade sides, this would be very helpful.  Your word “old” is key.  Since it is an older knife, seeing the current edge may well dictate how you’ll need to sharpen the knife with your WEGO.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Rich
    Participant

Welcome to the Wicked Edge forum, Rich.

I need guidance on how to sharpen an old BM Emerson I have. Single side edge.

I did a quick on-line search and found several blade grind configurations for the BM Emerson knives. It will help the forum to help you if you could post photos of your actual knife. If you could include close-ups of both blade sides, this would be very helpful. Your word “old” is key. Since it is an older knife, seeing the current edge may well dictate how you’ll need to sharpen the knife with your WEGO.

• Thank you Marc. I feel like a shlameel reading your response…
    • I’ve told others the same thing on other forums more often than I remember…I assume the use of a third party site is required to post pics? I can’t seem to make them worj off my phone.
    Marc H

Rich,  I’m sorry if I made you feel badly.

I use a window’s based laptop and desktop or an Android phone.  I am able to upload the saved photo files directly from these devices.  You may need to edit the photo file size smaller or change the file format, though. Jpg and pdf work fine for me.  I have no experience with Apple, Mac or iOs devices.  Other forum members more computer savvy then me may have other methods they use including other sites or software.

I click on ” select file” in the square below then browse to the directory on my device and select it.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Rich
    Participant

Lol, I don’t feel that bad. Trying again..

Attachments:
    Rich
    Participant

The other side. I had asked a friend to sharpen this before I aquired my GO…..he kinda butchered it. But it is old, and has been sharpened alot..I hope theres some life left.

Attachments:
    Marc H

I was afraid that there may be a bevel applied to the right side.  It looks as though the single side grind was respected.  I would sharpen this knife one side at a time.

Being the tanto style, I’d look to sharpen the just the left side first, doing that in two sections.  First, I do the rear horizontal portion.  Then I’d reclamp the blade to sharpen the slanted tip portion.  You may find you’re able to clamp the knife so the rounded transition is somewhat off centered in the vise jaws with it pointed straight up.  This may allow you to access both blade portions well without the need to move and reclamp the knife. This transition between the two blade sections appear fairly rounded.  I don’t know if this transition was originally more crisp and angled or if it always was just as round like it appears now.  Because of the rounded transition I would blend the separately sharpened flat blade portions at the end of your sharpening process to result in a smoothed and rounded transition it has now.

This is all assuming the asymmetrically ground knife will clamp in the jaws on the flat grind of the left side and stay secure.  There appears to be large flat areas up towards the spine.  This may dictate how you’ll be forced to clamp it.  Then you’ll have to make the best of that position.

It appears when the left side bevel was sharpened it was enlarged and appears uneven.  For aesthetics you may want to profile this previously sharpened edge at an angle setting that would finish this bevel more uniformly so it’s nicer appearing.  If you feel this angle is narrower then you’d prefer for the cutting edge, you can apply a more obtuse micro- bevel, at the end, to enhance it’s cutting durability.

I would save the blade’s right side till the very end.  I would remove the burr left on the knife’s right side, from sharpening just the left knife side alone, by using the finest stone that I could get by with.  I would use the most acute angle setting I could achieve with the WEGO and the lightest pressure that would allow me to remove the burr while creating just a very tiny bevel to the right side.  Exercise care with the acute angle setting to do this with out contacting and scratching the other portions of the knife blade with the sharpening stone.  It may even work better for you to use the W.E. stone, hand held and not on the guide rod, pulling it across the clamped blade.  If this doesn’t allow you the access you need maybe try it with the stone laying flat on the table top surface with the knife unclamped and being held free hand.  This may allow better control over removing the burr as you pull the knife across the stationary stone.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Rich
    Participant

Thank you Marc, appreciate your input.

I was having trouble creating a burr, so I figured I’d better stop and ask. I’ll give it another GO (HA ;)), and report back.

Marc H

Realize the more acute the bevel angle your setting the more vertical and parallel to the knife sides you are setting the stones.  This means you’ll have a large, flat, and closer to parallel contact patch area between the sharpening stones and the blade.  At the start of your sharpening process, because of this large steel/stone contact, the steel removal may be lower down on the knife, down below the knife’s edge. To draw the burr in this situation requires a lot of steel removal before you work up closer to the knife edge where the burr formation finally becomes evident.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.