Advanced Search

Balloon idea to cover folder handles/pivot

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Balloon idea to cover folder handles/pivot

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Pat
    Participant
    • Topics: 16
    • Replies: 114

I have seen many guys covering their pivot of a folder with all sorts of tape when starting to sharpen with the WE to keep shaving out.

I have also seen guys using the cutoff fingers of rubber dishwashing gloves, or similar, to cover the ball joints of the upgraded arms, again, to keep the shavings out.

My thought is that why not use a similar covering for the pivot that you guys are using for the ball joints? Why not use a balloon and just stretch it over the handle/pivot area?

Like this: take the open end of the balloon (the end you blow into), and stretch it and go from the back of the handles toward the pivot? This would cover the entire handle, plus the pivot, and you can stop short of the blade. You may have to experiment with a couple types of balloons, but you would find what works.

Now, I know a lot of balloons are coated with some starchy or other powdery material to keep them from sticking together, but you can just wash it off with water, invert the balloon, then wash again, drying both the inside and out completely with a hair dryer or in Texas with just the air in the summertime.

I would think if you are careful, which many of you are, you would be able to get several uses from one balloon that is the right size.

Thoughts?

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Pics would be helpful

Pat
    Participant

Ok Josh, you asked for it:

Grayman SATU, DLC on the block for some reprofiling and TLC:

Attachments:
    JS
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 109

Good idea. I just have tape laying around so I use that. A lot if blades I choose to remove from the handle anyway such as most Benchmades and CRK.

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

I like it! Thanks for sharing.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Thanks for the pic Pat! I find I don’t really need to protect the pivot area when I am sharpening since I use my diamond stones wet. This eliminates the dust as all of the dust is trapped in the solution and drips down. But this is a great idea!

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

Thanks for the pic Pat! I find I don’t really need to protect the pivot area when I am sharpening since I use my diamond stones wet. This eliminates the dust as all of the dust is trapped in the solution and drips down. But this is a great idea!

Yeah, I agree with Josh on this one. I spray my diamonds with Windex and have made it a habit to wipe the blade off after I set the stones down, or right before I inspect the edge to see what I’ve just accomplished. I usually only make 5-10 passes at a time, which means I’m constantly wiping the blade off all throughout the process.

However, I must say I like this idea better than masking or painter’s tape. And I definitely plan on giving it a shot.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I have to agree with the balloon trick. It looks like a really neat solution. Another “Wish I’d thought of that!”.

Pat
    Participant

What’s even more impressive is the clamping strength of that vice holding that heavy SATU so firmly I was able to work for an hour without a concern. Such a well built unit.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.