Advanced Search

Backlit Cube! At last!

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Backlit Cube! At last!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Many thanks to Herman (wmarq9237) for the heads up. Anyone who has been annoyed trying to read your angle cube because of no lighting on the meter face, here is a cube that has a back lit meter face! Hallelujah!
    My poor old eyes have a need for lots of light and contrast to read figures clearly and the old cube I have has given me a pain in this regard. Amazon.com sells a backlit angle cube, go here:
    http://www.amazon.com/INT-102144-Intercomp-Digital-Angle-Magnetic/dp/B004QOW0VI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331039282&sr=8-1
    It is more expensive but for me I say hang the expense…at least I can easily read the meter. If your eyes require more light like mine pick one of these up for around 60 bucks US dollars, They are out of stock now but will be replenished next week.
    At last I can easily see the angle reading! Thanks again Herman for the tip!

Cheers
    Leo

Alva summerall
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 6

i dont know yet how to use one of these cube’s christina from sharper than new told me i should get one but not sure yet can you tell me the advantage to having one

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

i dont know yet how to use one of these cube’s christina from sharper than new told me i should get one but not sure yet can you tell me the advantage to having one

Hi Alva
    The cube is a very good accessory for us to have because it allows us to check that the angle we set, is the angle we get. Now most folks are quite happy with setting the angles on the apparatus for doing that on the WEPS, but those of us who want absolute exactness use the cube to check our angles.
    You say, “Why isn’t the setting on the rig good enough?” Well depending on where your knife is placed or the width of your blade above the vise or the wear in your stones if you are using Chosera or Shapton stones, the angles will be different than the value you set. So in order to get the exact setting you want or need, you can make an adjustment based on what the angle cube tells you.

This picture will help you see how the cube is mounted magnetically against the paddles.

If you need more help let me know.

Leo

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

I just received my Intercomp Angle Gauge with a backlit face! Wow! It is a joy for these old eyes. For any of you who are getting up in age like I am! LOL! Getting up there!!! I am now almost 77 and the old eyes require light and contrast to read clearly. My old cube was almost impossible for me to read unless I sat at a certain angle to the ambient light source and wearing my reading glasses was absolutely necessary. Ha! Not so with this cube. I can read it sitting anywhere with no glasses and from a good distance! For me it was worth just shy of twice the price of the other cube at $61 US dollars.
    I would put up a picture, but it looks almost exactly like my other cube in the shot above this post except for the wonderful green light that so clearly shows the reading.
    Again I got this through Amazon.com, from RA Hoerr in Peoria Illinois! If you are an ancient like me or have lousy vision, this cube is the ticket!

Cheers
    Leo

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Well I finally got a chance to use the backlit cube! What a difference for these poor old eyes of mine. It works perfectly, so for those with aging eyes that require more light and contrast, this is the way to go. Try it, you’ll like it.

Best to all
    Leo

martin lind
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 78

i just order one cube myself too, i think its going to be great, now im only waiting to get the wicked edge sharperner to…..its on backorder but hoping they will send it soon.
    martin lind sweden

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

I am sure you will love your new angle cube and I know you will adore your new WEPS when it arrives.Please tell us all about your experiences with both once you get going.

Very best regards

Leo

Bill
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 20

Hello Leo, Herman here again, I have another backlit cube available and you might already have one in your pocket. If you own an IPhone, iHandy has a level app that works as well as the angle cube and is just as accurate. You can zero it to your WEPS sharpening base, then set the phone against the paddle, but don’t forget to put the phone high enough so the volume buttons do not sit on the paddle.

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Hello Leo, Herman here again, I have another backlit cube available and you might already have one in your pocket. If you own an IPhone, iHandy has a level app that works as well as the angle cube and is just as accurate. You can zero it to your WEPS sharpening base, then set the phone against the paddle, but don’t forget to put the phone high enough so the volume buttons do not sit on the paddle.

Amazing Herman!!! What will they think of next?! :cheer:

Leo

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hi Martin,

Welcome on the forum! I’m sure you will enjoy your WEPS.

Where did you get your angle cube? I live in Holland and first tried to buy it from amazon.com. Then I found out it was export restricted. It is probably useful in making nuclear weapons as well :-).

That was actually a good thing, because that meant I had to look for one in Europe. I found a Dutch/German/Belgium webshop that sell various types of anglecube, but also microscopes, loupes, etc. And, just this time, we Europeans are off much cheaper than Americans :-). It’s http://www.hogetex.com.

When I get to it, I’ll post some more addresses in Europe for Wicked Edge paraphernalia.

Mark.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Mark,

Thank you for the link. I hadn’t seen the new 5 mega pixel Dino-Lites yet. Hopefully they’ll start making some at 500x with that high resolution!

Hi Martin,

Where did you get your angle cube? I live in Holland and first tried to buy it from amazon.com. Then I found out it was export restricted. It is probably useful in making nuclear weapons as well :-).

That was actually a good thing, because that meant I had to look for one in Europe. I found a Dutch/German/Belgium webshop that sell various types of anglecube, but also microscopes, loupes, etc. And, just this time, we Europeans are off much cheaper than Americans :-). It’s http://www.hogetex.com.

When I get to it, I’ll post some more addresses in Europe for Wicked Edge paraphernalia.

Mark.

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Mark,

Thank you for the link. I hadn’t seen the new 5 mega pixel Dino-Lites yet. Hopefully they’ll start making some at 500x (or better yet 1000x) with that high resolution!

Hi Martin,

Mark.

-Clay

Bill K
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 14

I plan to use my iPhone/iHandy level and see if it works well enough for me.

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

I am glad to hear Apple has an alternative to the angle cube…it should save some bucks for those who have one. Several things I need to know, does the phone have magnetic sides so it sticks to the paddles like the cube does? Does it have a hold button so when you move it, the reading is still there? Does it have a truing button so the reading is zeroed to the platform you are using? If all that is true then the guy who designed it must have been a genius and an avid sharpener!! LOL!

Leo

martin lind
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 78

Hi all and thanks, first the cube i bought it on ebay
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/iGaging-Angle-Cube-Digital-Angle-Protractor-Gauge-/140636422546?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20be958192

just some info about me.
    42year man from sweden, love being in the wildness.(survival,hunting,sniper shoting, ipsc shooting aso.) as harder its get its only puts a bigger smile on my face. jusing alot of knives when im survival camping:) make my own knives as i want them often big,large and fat ones.have been a knifeaniac after i got my first knife at 7year old 🙂
    Im so happy that i found this wicked edge sharp. because i think i will have a great moment when i will sharpening all my 80-90knives ive got :lol
    after i get the backorder i will put out pictures of it, if someone want to seet it ofcourse.
    sorry for my bad english, but i think you understand that better than my swedish;)
    martin lind sweden

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.