Advanced Search

Applying Diamond Emulsion Stropping Compounds

Recent Forums Main Forum Stropping Applying Diamond Emulsion Stropping Compounds

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I have found I get better results and longevity with the Diamond Emulsion Stropping Compounds if I apply them to my stropping medium before I intend to use the strop.  I allow it dry completely, usually over night.  I don’t experience the scrape off or flaking using the dried emulsions.  When I had used the strops right after applying fresh compounds, the wet or not totally dried emulsions, seem to scrape right off.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I have only noticed flaking with the diamond pastes. Perhaps I’m being too miserly with my applications of diamond emulsion.  I apply just enough to cover the majority of the leather and it dries right into the strop within minutes. I have never observed any flaking after applying the gel.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    James
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 7

No matter how light I apply the paste, or how long ago, i always seem to get flakes.

Marc H

Try moistening the strops with rubbing alcohol from a spritz bottle before using the strops.  Even if the paste flakes off some of the diamond abrasives that were in the paste should have been rubbed into and embedded into the leather strop.  The paste will eventually rub in.  Just keep using them and reapplying the past when needed.  If it looks like you have bare places, add paste to those areas.  I only clean off the leather when it appears really black and shinny with metal.  That could be after 15-20 knives of use.  Other than that I just apply compound when needed without cleaning the leather first.

Don’t loose sight that what’s more important is how the knife looks after being stropped, not how the strop looks after using it.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

James, when did you purchase your diamond emulsions? I think that Marc and I are both using the Jende Industries product which has since been replaced with a proprietary WE branded product. This may account for the different behavior of the emulsion that you’ve seen.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Spritzing them with rubbing alcohol and then rubbing the strops together should take care of it.

-Clay

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Mutt
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 5

Shoot! How do you get it out of the little pump spay bottle? I recently got the pro pack 3. The pumps in the spray bottles clogged quickly and the stuff kinda went everywhere. I think I wasted half of it trying to get some on the strops. I did shake it well before using, btw.

Marc H

Mutt,  I hold the sprayer so opening just touching the leather.  Then, for me, it sprays,  really,  applies a dollop of emulsion on the leather.  I do in five little spots down the length of the leather strips, (both sides).  Then I rub the same grit sides together in an attempt to spread the emulsion evenly across the entire leather strips.  I like to let it dry thoroughly before I use it.

I honestly don’t have personal experience with the Wicked Edge Brand Emulsion spray bottles.  I do know the Jende Brand bottles did require a good amount of pressing pressure on the sprayer cap to get it to come out.  I agree there’s probably a better bottle or type of applicator that should be employed.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Mutt
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 5

Thanks, MarcH. That is pretty close to what I ended up doing, but it did not spray because it was clogged. Instead it leaked out all over the place. I think maybe an eye dropper top may be better than a pump spray top.

Marc H

I have one sprayer that’s cracked, unusable and clogged.  I apply the emulsion by unscrewing the cap and painting it on with the sprayer straw.  I don’t care for that method because it seems like an easy way to cross contaminate the whole bottle.  I though about using a dropper top bottle from the crafts store but there’s really no efficient way to transfer the 7 or 8 ml contents of the sprayer bottle without loosing most of it or leaving most of it in the old bad bottle. Maybe diluting it with purified water. Diluting it isn’t bad if it’ll thin it enough to pour it then use it.  The viscosity won’t effect the particle size.  It just makes the emulsion less concentrated.  It’d be the same thing if you apply enough emulsion.  After you let it dry.  I think I’ll buy some inexpensive travel spray bottles and use the clean straw to apply the emulsion, for now,  then clip the used end off when finished.  An empty eye dropper bottle may do the job.  One that you turn the dropper down to apply the drops.  Just brain storming ideas I’ve come up with.  It’s not like we’re going to quit using the products.  We need to find a work around until Wicked Edge and Jende Industries both come up with something better to apply these thick products.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

I just got the 4/1 and 1/.5 last week and sent a note off to support about the 4.  It came out like water??  The other grits were like a dollop of cream or toothpaste. Anyone else see the watery 4m emulsion?  Is it normal??

Marc H

These are water soluble suspensions. Some bottles you have to really shake, shake, shake…I’m sure that if the company filling the bottles didn’t shake it well, to start, you could have a more watery bottle full.

The higher the grit, the larger/heavier the diamond, the more prone it is to settle out…the more you’ll need to shake it up.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Kevin
    Participant

I just got the 4/1 and 1/.5 last week and sent a note off to support about the 4. It came out like water?? The other grits were like a dollop of cream or toothpaste. Anyone else see the watery 4m emulsion? Is it normal??

I’m have the same issue with the 4m. I’ve been shaking the hell out of the bottle but it’s still the same watery solution.

Marc H

Kevin, you’ve had nothing but bad experiences.  Call W.E. they’ll make it right.  Wicked Edge really needs to get they’re product vendors to improve their quality control!  It reflects very poorly on Wicked Edge.  I’m guessing they bottled a bad batch of 4µ emulsion.  It’s easily remedied but a major inconvenience to users who spent their good $$ for good quality products.  Sorry for your inconvenience, again!

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Kevin
    Participant

Kevin, you’ve had nothing but bad experiences. Call W.E. they’ll make it right. Wicked Edge really needs to get they’re product vendors to improve their quality control! It reflects very poorly on Wicked Edge. I’m guessing they bottled a bad batch of 4µ emulsion. It’s easily remedied but a major inconvenience to users who spent their good $$ for good quality products. Sorry for your inconvenience, again!

I’ll give them a shout next week as I’m sure they’ll help me figure out what’s going on. I agree it seems like it may be a bad batch. The difference in the feeling between the 4 and 2m strops are significant. The 4m feels and sounds gritty on the leather and the 2m feels like butter. All in all it’s a minor setback…I’m having more fun than I should so I can complain too much…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.