Advanced Search

angles

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

my detecting buddy called me this morning and said stop on over, he had a nice gold ring to show me. wow – marked 750 = 18k ticket – nice and then he goes on and shows me other items he has found and one of them is a kinda new looking cheap chinese kitchen knife, so i grab it up and come home to sharpen it for him.

i set it up top holes – set the bar at 22* both sides and vice it up – start on right side first and angle cube says: 23.75*…get burr and move to left side………at 22* i must move out a shade to get cube at 23.75* i stop at 600 paddles and i notice as i sharpen that the right side is wider than left side and on sat. at the farmers fare, i had a few kitchen knives that kinda looked the same. not much mind you, but enough where my old eyes can see a slight difference.

please take a look and advise on your thoughts and comments.
    thanks
    max.

Ted S
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 31

I have noticed the exact same thing. I don’t use bar markers and only use angle cube to make sure both sides are the same.

The only thing I can think of is the that blade is moving/tilting in the jaws. I haven’t used chamois, leather or tape but will start to see that now to see if that helps.

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

I think that most mass produce knives will not be perfect once you start really looking at them. Machinery settings need adjusting and until the settings are really out of sync and the higher the production runs on the cheapest knives the manufactures will not want to stop the production line very often if at all until the machinery is set up for a different run so particularly Chinese knives which are usually not much more than 5€ quality control is going to be minimal
    I think when you get to individually forged knives of quality if they are V ground they will be symmetrical or adjusted so the bevels are the same width.
    Most forged knives start at a little under 200€ and go up in value from there . Think of those beautiful knives in that Korin catalogue I bet they would be perfect but many of those knives are more than 400€ and can be thousands and if one were to buy one and it was not perfect they would change it with big apologies .

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.