Advanced Search

Aluminum platens for lapping???

Recent Forums Main Forum Aluminum platens for lapping???

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    James
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 7

So, on the website it says to use the glass platens for lapping. Why is it bad to use the Aluminum ones? I’m too new to the lapping and stropping of knives to fully understand alot of what some co sider common sense. I’m self taught at most of this. Any help is awesome and appreciated.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

James, Some WE users have used the blank aluminum platens as a lapping plate.  It is probably better to lap the aluminum (i.e., sand the surface smooth and level) with sand paper before using it as a lapping plate.  Aluminum’s soft nature makes it easy to dent or ding.  Lapping the aluminum assures it is smooth and level.

The glass lapping plates are already very smooth and level.  The glass lapping plates do sometimes have sharp edges, from being cut to size.  I sand the glass edges smooth with emery cloth before using them with lapping film to prevent the sharp glass edge from scratching the knife steel.

In my experience the pressure sensitive adhesive, (PSA), diamond lapping films stick better and more securely to the glass platens than to the aluminum platens.  If the film becomes gouged with use, (which does sometimes happen) the harder glass won’t cut or gouge while the softer aluminum scratches or becomes gouged.

So it isn’t bad to use the aluminum plates with lapping film…I just think it’s better to use the glass plates.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    James
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 7

Marc, you seem to be the man with all the answers I’ve been looking for. I plan to clean the aluminum and lap it at work (welder in a machine shop). When I saw WE didnt recommend using the aluminum my first thought was acidic nature of the adhesive. If that’s the case, I’d peel off the aluminum and replace with 300 series stainless.

Marc H

One forum member made brass platens to use for lapping film due to the soft nature of that metal.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Marc, you seem to be the man with all the answers I’ve been looking for. I plan to clean the aluminum and lap it at work (welder in a machine shop). When I saw WE didnt recommend using the aluminum my first thought was acidic nature of the adhesive. If that’s the case, I’d peel off the aluminum and replace with 300 series stainless.

I think the metal should be fine with the adhesive. Like Marc said, its not that aluminum is bad, its just that glass is preferable for most people. In case you weren’t aware, WE also sells blank handles. Since you have access to all of the tools and materials you may be better off just ordering the blanks and then fitting them with the steel plates that you mentioned.

Marc is the guy with nearly all of the answers. He has a lot of personal experience and has also read extensively on this forum as well as more broadly online. The WE forum already contains the answers to just about any Wicked Edge related question you can conjure. I highly recommend diving deeply and reading old threads if you have the time.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H

James, I don’t have any more knowledge or experience than a lot of others that were here before me.  I have the time to stay tuned into the forum and to promptly provide my insight along with the knack for writing and teaching well.  I learned everything I know from those here before me and from gaining hands-on experience and knowledge from putting my time in, sharpening knives with the Wicked Edge System.  There are very few new questions or new answers to those questions posed to the forum.  I’m happy to be able to share with you what I’ve learned from my personal experiences and those experienced sharpeners here before me.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I’m the one who has used the aluminum and brass platens with lapping film.  A few years ago, I ordered a set of blank handles, but received a set of the aluminum ones by mistake.  I think that WE intended for the aluminum platens to be used with different types of sandpaper, but I’ve used mine with film after lapping them on a series of sandpapers on a flat plate.  I have a 10 X 12 granite plate as well as a 3/8″ thick section of plate glass.  I started at about 240 grit and worked my way up to 1500 or 2000 grit.  I’ve never seen a nick or gouge on any of my metal platens.  I switched to metal from glass after noticing that I was producing a lot of unwanted scratches with my home-made glass platens.  BTW, this was before WE ever offered glass platens.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.