Advanced Search

Advice needed on progression path

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Gerald Welsby
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 34

Hi guys,
    I need to choose a progression path. I advised my friend to get a WEPS and offered to sharpen a knife for him as an example. He gave me a chef’s knife made by Le Creuset. I have made what is probably a cardinal error by assuming that the finishing of the knife was the main part of getting a sharp edge. I’ve therefore acquired a WEPS 2 (which I have used for a while) and now all manner of strops, sprays, platens,lapping films and even a set of 5k/10k Choseras to boot. Having seen Tom’s videos from jendeindustries I think now I should have just got a full set of Choseras, but….
    I’ve gone through the standard diamond plates up to 1k grit. It is still worryingly easy to raise a burr with the 1K stones btw. Next up are the ultra fine ceramics, and then comes my choice. I’ve read somewhere hereabouts that stropping is for mirror finishes whereas lapping film will give a sharper edge. Given the tools at my disposal, could you comment on my best way to go now?
    TIA,
    Gerald.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Gerald,

It would be helpful to know what types of strops you have? kangaroo, plain leather, balsa, etc.

And no, the lapping film does not automatically give you a sharper edge. It is mostly in technique which is what determines the edge.

Some people here have had good success w/ lapping film whereas I have not (so far). I tend to stick to and like the stones better. I go up through my 10k choseras and then just leave that edge but “polish the grooves” left by the 10k’s with some .125 cbn. This is what I currently do for my straight razors, although I do have some 15k shaptons on order from Bob at Oldawan tools currently.

Gerald Welsby
    Participant

Josh,
    thanks for your reply. I have all the strops and the 1mu and 0.5mu lapping films. I looked into this some time ago and it seemed that the strops smear the metal on the bevel, making it shinier, but leave the edge less sharp. I don’t have time to experiment with this knife so I was hoping there’d be a definitive answer.
    Just so you know – these things are ruinously expensive to ship to the UK (I pay import tax on the goods and the shipping) so I ordered the whole lot when a friend went over to the U.S. last month.
    Gerald.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

That’s cool that you got one then! Bet you are the only one over there or one of only a handful!

No, it will still make the edge sharper if, when you go to the strops, you lower your angle 2 dps (degrees per side). So if you had been sharpening at 17 dps (as measured on your angle cube) then you would want to strop at 15 dps (again, measured on your angle cube). This should prevent most of the convexing that naturally occurs with strops.

Sorry I don’t have anything more definitive for you at this point!

Gerald Welsby
    Participant

Josh,
    I wouldn’t know. I see postings with advice and vice spelled the British way but they could be expats living over there I suppose.
    Btw, my parents brought my WEPS 2, with granite base, home in their luggage for me.
    Gerald.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.