Advanced Search

Adding a second dimension to base rod

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box Adding a second dimension to base rod

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Cesar Montez
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 0

Hello all.

I’ve owned my WE for over two years, yet, this is my first post. I love my WE and it is the most precise piece of sharpening equipment I own.

However, there are two primary inconveniences the I find (again, this my opinion):

1. Finding the sweet-spot: Yes, I do use the Sharpie method.
    2. When sharpening long knives (>8″) I find that I need to take the knife out and reset it, in order to accomodate for the length.

So, I was wondering if I might spark any interest (or not) in the following:

At this time the base rod allows the arms to move horizontally. I, personally, feel that somehow allowing the arms to move in a vertical direction as well would be great. Allowing the arms to slide along the base rod in a vertical and horizontal direction, I believe, would eliminate the need to move the knife once it’s set, regardless of length or position; of course one could still use quality control methods via the angle cube and Sharpie.

I apologize for not posting a pic or outline (although, I do have one in mind).

Again, just trying to make an already great product better.

-CM

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Wow! Such a simple idea? I wonder if it would be affordable to mass produce? Sound like a great idea to me? 🙂

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

It is a good idea and we’ve been working on something similar, essentially putting the base rod on a sliding platform on a track.

-Clay

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I’ve owned my WE for over two years, yet, this is my first post.

Welcome to the forum! 🙂 Great idea.

Thought I’d mention on this point…

2. When sharpening long knives (>8″) I find that I need to take the knife out and reset it, in order to accomodate for the length.

You shouldn’t have to reset an 8″ knife. For example, this knife…

… that I used as an example in this thread on securing flexible knives, the blade is almost 11 in. long, and I was able to sharpen the entire edge without moving the knife.

Feel free to post your ideas on what you have in mind.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Replies: 513

It is a good idea and we’ve been working on something similar, essentially putting the base rod on a sliding platform on a track.

OMG wow that sounds really cool! I swear I will end up in the poor house with all your new great ideas!!!! :woohoo:

Peter Lai
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 2

The EZE Sharp Blade Sharpener has a rail that allows the rod to move horizontally. I can’t wait for a prototype from Clay 🙂 .

Mr.Wizard
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 190

The EZE Sharp is the first thing that came to mind while reading the opening post. For those not familiar with that system:

Attachments:
    Arne Biermans
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 4

Hi all,

After playing around for a good while with my WE I wanted a few modifications. One was adding that second moving dimension to the blade.
    The other was greatly reduce the play in the arms. I am still refining it but any suggestions would be welcome.
    Maybe the modifying got out of hand…The WE certainly is a great system.

The other question is what shapton stone to use after the 1600 ceramic. I want to get away from tapes. They work great but are a hassle.
    The diamond sandpapers in particular work wonders but they are just too expensive.

Oh and lastly, please use gloves. About 2 weeks ago I was sharpening my Sebenza, which of course was already plenty sharp… :S ., in a moment of
    being clumsy my hand caught on the blade, a cut severe enough to require an emergency room visit and stitches,
    I nearly cut the tendon that controls my thumb, the hand out of commission for 6 weeks. So, be careful.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hi Arne,

Welcome to the forum! Great to see you enjoy your WEPS so much that you’ve already made some modifications.

That said, I cannot make out from the picture what exactly you’ve done. Could you elaborate a bit on this?

Personally I use the 5000 grit Shaptons after the 1200/1600 stones. However, most people would probably give you a different advice and say you should go back to 2000 grit or so. That’s certainly safer, but I find it a bit overkill.

And the gloves… I wrote a blog post on them: http://moleculepolishing.wordpress.com/2012/08/12/554/ . Your injury sounds pretty serious. I hope it’s healing well.

Thanks for joining and get well soon!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Mark, it looks like the center vise slides forward and to the rear to be able to adjust it. What a brilliant idea! I have only ever thought about moving the arms themselves!

Arne Biermans
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 4

You are right. The vise is on a, of the shelf carriage that moves on a of the shelf rail. I use two nylon tipped bolts to keep the vise in place.
    It works but the position of those bolts is not optimal so I need to think about that a little more. The carriage looks tilted in the picture, it isnt, just the way
    the light falls.

I used ball joints and a larger diameter rod to eliminate slop in the arms. Essentially a home made version of the Pro Pack II upgrade arms but a little cheaper.

The horizontal bar is just aluminium extrusion you can buy, the rest of it I made from aluminium scrap. I might move the ball joints up a little higher. I still need to make a low angle adapter.

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

That looks great. I made something similar earlier this year using a picatinny rail. It was cool looking but wasn’t very useful haha. I like the rods and rail you made for them.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Thanks Arne, now I understand. It looks very good! But what do you use this second dimension for? Do you sharpen very long knives or is there another purpose?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Very elegant solution. Thanks for sharing. Very nice.

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Replies: 346

Thanks Arne, now I understand. It looks very good! But what do you use this second dimension for? Do you sharpen very long knives or is there another purpose?

It would be used for longer knives or doing serrations with a triangle or other shaped ceramics or stones. I am with Josh. I only thought of moving the arms rather than the vise. Nice idea! Thanks for sharing!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.