Advanced Search

Adding a second dimension to base rod

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box Adding a second dimension to base rod

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Arne Biermans
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 4

I have been reading a lot on the WE and other sharpening devices. I realize that the angle between blade & stone should not change
    on the straight edge of the blade. However, When sharpening longer knives I did not like the long strokes needed and the more extreme angle to reach the whole knife. So the motivation was more convenience than anything else.

Still going down the rabbit hole of grit progression to get the shiny edge. Really just aesthetics, I know that a polished edge is not always
    the best for every job.

Thanks all for the warm welcome. 🙂

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Thanks Arne, now I understand. It looks very good! But what do you use this second dimension for? Do you sharpen very long knives or is there another purpose?

Mark, it would also come in handy when you are doing a straight razor and want the pivot to be in the center of the blade (because you clamp on the tang basically). Or if you could figure out how to clamp on the handle of something you could get down to 2-3 dps 😀

kpromero
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 26

Arne, is that extruded aluminum that you used? Looking at your setup and i am very new to this but was thinking, what if you added lets say 2 north and south bars on your frame that would hold the arms and stones and have them able to slide to where you are able to do very long knives if needed.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.