Advanced Search

Accessory for avoiding strops cross-contamination?

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box Accessory for avoiding strops cross-contamination?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

🙂

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

With that design you could close off both ends. Assuming length does not vary too much. If it does you will still either be short or hang over.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

depends on the material..
    Doesn’t it?
    If it is hard with not much give… one could never flex it enough to snap around the … any of the paddles.

What kind of material do you envision Geo??

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

The cover for my tablet computer is made of a sort of plastic. It is flexible enough to snap around the (back of the) tablet. The material doesn’t have to be hard if the only purpose is to prevent cross-contamination (and/or protecting stones).

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

So, it depends on the material used, doesn’t it?
    Sure it does not have to be stiff, but if the material used is too stiff, and that is a property of the material selected, then closing both ends may not be practical.

Mark76
    Participant

Sure it does not have to be stiff, but if the material used is too stiff, and that is a property of the material selected, then closing both ends may not be practical.

So first decide on the purpose, then decide on the architecture, then the detailed design. This is what I try emphasize in my work all the time…

The purposes of avoiding strop cross-contamination and protecting stones are different. I’ve never felt the need to protect a stone, even though I have some pretty expensive ones. However, I do feel the need to prevent strops from cross-contamination.

Great topic. Crowdsourcing in a way I’ve seldom seen before. Crowddesign?

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

My preference would be closed ends.
    If need be to fit a stone, one or both ends could be “WE-moved” with a sharp knife.

Couldn’t resist a possible pun, nor alliteration.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

So first decide on the purpose, then decide on the architecture, then the detailed design. This is what I try emphasize in my work all the time…

The purposes of avoiding strop cross-contamination and protecting stones are different. I’ve never felt the need to protect a stone, even though I have some pretty expensive ones. However, I do feel the need to prevent strops from cross-contamination.

Great topic. Crowdsourcing in a way I’ve seldom seen before. Crowddesign?[/quote]

Stones are subject to contamination just as much as strops. More applicable to the finer stones, say 5K and up of course. I have had it happen, and it caused me a bunch of extra work. When I strive for scratch free finishes, it definitely becomes apparent! In my case it was my 5K Chosera stone(s). I even had a dialog with Clay and Tom about it. I was convinced the stone was bad. Some scrupulous lapping and cleaning took care of it. I would have been very happy to have a system to prevent the problem, however.

I had not thought much about stone protection either, but when this came up, I remembered knocking a chip or two out of one of my 10K Chosera stones. That will make one think about stone protection…
    As of now, I have a system that does pretty well at not allowing contamination and does a good job at protecting the stones (other than when I have them in my hands… sigh).

If I could get a purpose built device that would work for both, it would make my life simpler. Simple is good.

I guess that, if perfection is not the goal, and we can write off those scratches that appear as being simply “uncovered”, then stone protection is not important. OTH, if both were available, I have an idea that more than a few of us OCD folks would go for it.

I personally am not sure I have a preference for construction, as long as the device works well for what it is intended to do, is durable, and is not excessively expensive. Ease of use comes into play, of course, but is not as important to me as the first three criteria.

Build a better mousetrap, and they will come !

:woohoo:

Mikedoh

Wouldn’t a rubbery type compound serve both purposes ?

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

Something that would be easy to clean would be good. Many of the rubbery covers that I have seen, such as those similar to what I think that Mark was talking about for a tablet cover, or the one I have on my phone, are dust a lint magnets… and a pain to clean.

Mark76
    Participant

Stones are subject to contamination just as much as strops. More applicable to the finer stones, say 5K and up of course.

Good point. However, my 5K+ stones are all waterstones. The first thing I do before using my Choseras is soaking them and rubbing them together (same grit) in order to flatten them and then soak them again. That sort of cleans contaminations, I imagine. Shaptons are slightly different, but I use water on them, too.

What was the scrupulous lapping and cleaning you had to do?

I remembered knocking a chip or two out of one of my 10K Chosera stones. That will make one think about stone protection…

Hahah. (I’m allowed to laugh, since I was in the same boat. Once cracked a Shapton 8K. Ouch. You feel that in your wallet.)

As of now, I have a system that does pretty well at not allowing contamination and does a good job at protecting the stones (other than when I have them in my hands… sigh).

What’s your system? Mine consists of little plastic sandwich bags. And using both sides of the paddle strops for the same grit. (Works, but kind of expensive.)

Hahah, that’s funny. Is this a standard English expression or did you make it up?

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I had originally been thinking of a silicon or rubbery material but I think the sharp edges of the stone trays would tear it up and I agree that it would pick up a lot of dirt and debris. Lately I’ve been thinking of using the same polypropylene that we use for the trays – it’s reasonably flexible and the colors would match up just right. I’ll read through now to understand the different thoughts on open vs. closed ends etc…

-Clay

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

Good point. However, my 5K+ stones are all waterstones. The first thing I do before using my Choseras is soaking them and rubbing them together (same grit) in order to flatten them and then soak them again. That sort of cleans contaminations, I imagine. Shaptons are slightly different, but I use water on them, too.

What was the scrupulous lapping and cleaning you had to do?

The stone that I had problems with were the 5K Chosera stones. Also water stones that I follow a procedure quite like what you do. Unfortunately, it seems that hard enough material can become embedded and resist soaking,rinsing and, rubbing the stones together!

Hahah. (I’m allowed to laugh, since I was in the same boat. Once cracked a Shapton 8K. Ouch. You feel that in your wallet.)

Yes… when I told Ken Schwartz about it… he laughed at me too… but it was more of a “that pretty tivial” kindo of laugh. Everything is relative I guess.

Hahah, that’s funny. Is this a standard English expression or did you make it up?

I kind of bastardized what apparently is already a bastardization of something Emerson purportedly said in the late 1880s

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

“Build a better mousetrap, and the world will beat a path to your door” is a phrase attributed to Ralph Waldo Emerson in the late nineteenth century.[1] [2] The phrase is actually a misquotation of the statement:
    If a man has good corn or wood, or boards, or pigs, to sell, or can make better chairs or knives, crucibles or church organs, than anybody else, you will find a broad hard-beaten road to his house, though it be in the woods.

—Ralph Waldo Emerson, [2]

In 1889, seven years after Emerson’s death, came the invention of the current standard of mousetraps.[2] That same year Emerson was quoted as saying: (“pretty tough if he had been dead for 7 years ???”)

If a man can write a better book, preach a better sermon, or make a better mousetrap than his neighbor…”[2]

The phrase has turned into a metaphor about the power of innovation,[2] and is frequently taken literally, with more than 4,400 patents issued by the United States Patent and Trademark Office for new mousetraps, with thousands more unsuccessful applicants, making them the “most frequently invented device in U.S. history”.[1]

Mikedoh

Wondering if you could incorporate scribe lines into the plastic that would allow for ~ easy end removal? Sort of like punch outs on electrical boxes.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Finally got the 3D printer up and running. I’m still learning how to use it but have had some success so far with the parts I’ve printed. Some have come out great, others less so but I was able to print some strop/stone covers and they are working well. Here is a shot of the printer with more shots of the covers to follow:

Attachments:

-Clay

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.