Advanced Search

Accessory for avoiding strops cross-contamination?

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box Accessory for avoiding strops cross-contamination?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Good question. I’ve mentioned it to our factory and it’s easy enough to do. I need to find a good draftsman to make the drawings to send off.

I’ve sent to you original 3d-model a while ago. Could you make anything out of it ?[/quote]

I sent those along to the factory but they need dimensions, tolerances etc… I just need to find someone that can take what you drew and turn it into a IGES or STEP file with the correct dimensions. I might be able to do it myself but it would be a lot of trial and error. It’s one thing to design for machining, which I do all the time and another to design something which is going to be molded.

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

Making progress on this idea. I’ve got a 3D printer on order and am tasting the irony of being on the other end of a backorder for a product I’m really excited about 🙂 When it comes in, I should be able to print this part for testing and see if the dimensions/tolerances are right for a good, snug fit.

Here are the drawings I’ve done so far:

My thought is to make them in colors corresponding to the tray colors so it’s easy to tell which stone/strop they belong to.

I have a question for everyone: Would you use these covers with the stones too? And if so, would you use them w/ Chosera stones? I’m thinking of making them deep enough to fit over the Choseras but don’t want to build in that much play unless enough people think they’d use them for the thicker stones.

-Clay

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

3D printer. Very cool.
    I don’t think I’d use the covers for stones or Choseras.

Looking forward to getting covers for strops though .

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

I would use these for Choseras, not for cross contamination, but for protection. If these are soft plastic/rubber, they would give some protection against dropping.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

I would think that they would have a good deal of utility for the Chosera stones.
    I have dropped different grits on an occasion or two. When I dropped one of the 10K stones and knocked a corner off of it… Well that hurt my feelings. BTW, that was after I used it and was trying to get it into a Ziploc bag…

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

I vote both chosera and strop. I’m not sure about diamonds? But will absolutely buy one for each paddle set.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I have a question for everyone: Would you use these covers with the stones too? And if so, would you use them w/ Chosera stones? I’m thinking of making them deep enough to fit over the Choseras but don’t want to build in that much play unless enough people think they’d use them for the thicker stones.

My plan is to just use them with the strops… especially in the carrying case. I probably wouldn’t use on anything else.

blacksheep25
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 68

Just a thought, the retention mechanism for these appear to be the four tabs, but was thinking of a possibly simpler solution… what about a channel with either one or both ends open? Instead of having four tabs, the entire edge would be a long tab. Install/remove by sliding it on from the end. No fancy CAD drawing, Microsoft Paint sketch attached. 🙂

Attachments:
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Have you taken any creativity pills lately, Clay? 😉

It looks great. I’d definitely use them on my strops, but not on my stones. (One thing to consider is the added size. I use a Plano box to store my stones and there is not much room left for wider/thicker stones.)

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

I’ve got a 3D printer on order

Did you d/l the file to print a gun? 😉

I’m sure even ordering a printer has you on a government watch list, brother!

Look out the window. You see that black SUV? They are there for YOU…..

We’re gonna miss you, Clay! 😉

Ken

wickededge
    Keymaster

Just a thought, the retention mechanism for these appear to be the four tabs, but was thinking of a possibly simpler solution… what about a channel with either one or both ends open? Instead of having four tabs, the entire edge would be a long tab. Install/remove by sliding it on from the end. No fancy CAD drawing, Microsoft Paint sketch attached. 🙂

This is a nice idea, thank you! I’ve redrawn it as suggested:

Attachments:

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

This is a nice idea, thank you! I’ve redrawn it as suggested:

Attachments:

-Clay

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Clay,
    Did you make a decision regarding a case for the stones? Is it possible to have one for the choseras? They are pretty expensive and I would love to protect them.
    Thank you, Eamon

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

What would you think about leaving one end closed off? That would give a bit more support on that end and maybe a bit more protection from contamination.

wickededge
    Keymaster

What would you think about leaving one end closed off? That would give a bit more support on that end and maybe a bit more protection from contamination.

Attachments:

-Clay

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.