Advanced Search

A low cost testing setup

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I wanted to create a simple, low cost setup that I could do some testing… this is what I came up with.

I bought a pack of utility blades. I had seen others use this to test, initially I didn’t really like the idea. But then I tried it, and realized, it’s great. Cost around $15… here’s a sample:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100654934/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=utility+blades&storeId=10051#.UJp3nY4Tsy4

I found another small microscope, under $6, I thought would work a little better since it had a stand and clip:

http://www.amazon.com/SE-Illuminated-Pocket-Microscope-White/dp/B001CTLKSO/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1352299888&sr=8-9&keywords=led+microscope

The setup:

I can even snap a photo with my smartphone to document findings…

(That’s a factory edge, btw.)

Having a number of blades, I can number or label them, to make comparisons of finishes, look at burrs, etc… quick, easy, and at a low cost.

Just thought I’d throw the idea out there! 🙂

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Wow! That’s great! Thanks for the tip!

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

*salutes the awesomeness*
    pressed done too fast.
    Am I seeing heat discoloration oj that edge?

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Thanks. Good idea. Not only is it cheap you can also use the blades for cutting tests, etc.

I use utility blades all the time. I am interested how they sharpen up being that they are very thin compared to regular knives.

May have to sharpen some of my own for special Wick Edge precision cutting jobs. I wonder what type of steel these things are made off? Has to be cheap stuff.

cbwx34
    Participant

Fred, that could very well be from heat… I don’t know for sure though.

Geocyclist, I’m glad you brought that up, I was going to mention that I sharpened a couple, and they come out great! Always makes me appreciate how “dull” a blade I once thought was sharp, really isn’t. :woohoo:

The steel actually seems decent… they sharpen up nicely.

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

I like the microscope, that’s a great simple one. How thick a blade can it hold?
    Also, this looks like a great way to test and practice technique.
    + for great idea!

cbwx34
    Participant

The clips are too weak to hold a knife very well. For that, the scope pops off the stand, and I just use it like the other scopes.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.