Advanced Search

1500 Grit Diamond Stones

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Abrasives 1500 Grit Diamond Stones

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jon J
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 6

I’m wanting to know where these 1500 grit diamond stones fall into place in the progression of stones? I have the 800/1000 grits as well as the 1200/1600 grits. I don’t own any, yet, but was looking at getting some maybe. Would I go by the numbers and go between the 1200 & 1600? Also, does anyone here have a link to the rubber boots to cover the ball joints on the arms from dust? I found the old post where y’all talked about them, but when I clicked on the link, Amazon says they don’t have them anymore. I bought some from a local hobby shop here in Oklahoma City, but they were the wrong size and those were the only size that shop carried. Thanks for any help.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Jon J, the 1200/1600 Ceramics long predated the relatively new 1500 grit Diamond stone now offered by Wicked Edge in the grit line-up.  Many of us used the 1200/1600 ceramics, (now called the “Superfine Ceramics”), following the 1000 grit diamond stone.  The ceramic stones were and still are sort of difficult to get a read on.  They need a lot of use and have a long “break in” period till you’ll see they’re true benefits.  After the 1200/1600 the 1.4µ/0.6µ, (now called the “Microfine Ceramics”), were released and these ceramics shared similar attributes as the 1200/1600.  These ceramics were the finest grit polishing stones offered at that time.  Now there are other routes and a larger variety of abrasive mediums available to use with the WEPS.

Today we have many mediums available to mix and use together in our progression to achieve the finest polished knife edges:

• Diamond Stones
    • Ceramic Stones
    • Abrasive Imbedded Lapping Films, (diamond, aluminum oxide, Silicon carbide and  Silicon dioxide)
    • Whetstones (Naniwa Chosera and Shaptons)
    • Arkansas Natural Stones
    • Stropping Mediums, (Cow leather, Kangaroo Leather, Balsa wood, Cardboard, Nano Cloth and Newspaper)
    • and possibly others I may have overlooked

Choosing which grit, and which medium to use in your progression is the “art” part of knife sharpening.   Logic suggests we follow a progression from larger abrasive particle size, (i.e., coarser grit) to smaller abrasive particle size, (i.e., finer grit) as we remove and smooth steel to sharpen our knives.  This is basically true but not all mediums fit this rule so clean cut.  Just because the grit number or particle size align doesn’t necessary mean you need to use it in your sharpening progression.  I used to think, and I believe many of us thought, the more different grits in the progression and the more stones I could string together in a descending grit progression the sharper my knife would become.  Now I know, through time and experience, how to pick and choose which grit and which mediums I choose to align together to sharpen a particular knife or a particular steel.

Today with the use of lighted magnifying devices, (e.g., USB Microscopes) we can observe the size, depth and width of the scratch patterns laid down by the medium grits and use this visual results to help us to choose how we string together our grits and mediums.

I hope the long winded explanation helps you put it in perspective.

I just last week bought and received the axle boots from Amazon.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Marc gave you the philosophical answer and I agree with everything he said. Ultimately, it will be up to you to decide what progression gives you the results you seek.

I will attempt to give you a practical answer. The 1500 grit diamond works very well after the 1000 grit diamond. It can essentially replace the 1200 / 1600 grit ceramics in your progression. The advantage here is that diamond abrades more rapidly than ceramic, so it takes a lot less time to get you to a similar level of refinement as you would get with the 1200 / 1600 after the 1000. If you want to use the 1500 in conjunction with the 1200 / 1600 ceramics, then I would suggest using the diamonds up to 1500 and then using the 1200 / 1600 afterward. It seems counter-intuitive, but it is often helpful to drop back to a lower grit when changing from one type of abrasive media to another (diamond to ceramic in this case).

If you want to add more options, get some 5 micron aluminum oxide or 6 micron diamond lapping film to put on the glass side of the 1500 stone. It works very well directly after the 1500 and produces an astonishing polish (although not scratch free) with even just a few passes.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    NickedEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 53

Unbeknownst to me MarcH had written his response here when I was querying him along similar lines off forum. It’s a great reply. Organic touched on the “counterintuitive” aspect of  going back up in grit size when you change medium and abrasive.

Theres a great article in the Wicked Edge Knowledge Base about grit progression and perhaps you’ve read it but I found it incredibly helpful.  For starters Clay, and I assume it was Clay, indicates a basic progression for working blades then goes on to give a progression for the Wicked Edge Mirror. Sharpening Grit Progression for All Wicked Edge Abrasives

Additionally If you want a visual idea of the “final” product of each of the Wicked Edge abrasives (and you haven’t seen it already ) Check out Grit Comparison Chart

Leaving the Wicked Edge site I found this article, Wicked Edge (WEPS) Stock Diamond & Ceramic Microscopic Progression Please note that article is more than 6 years old and may not show all the current abrasives offered by Wicked Edge. However for those abrasives he does use the author offers some helpful insights as to the thought process as he moves through his WE abrasive library.  Photos are very clear and helpful. That kind of Master’s level sharpening is far beyond me. Frankly at this point I’ll be happy to crack open the box with my new WE130, find a few sweet spots, begin to break in my stones , then start sharpening  kitchen knives & work folders for family and friends.

Wow talk about coincidence my Email gong just went off  with an email from WE informing me my order has shipped. Next week it is! I’m excited to stop stuffing my head with the theoretical, start using what I’ve learned and begin to get my hands and handles dirty.

George

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by NickedEdge.
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H

Did you buy a box of Band-aids, George?  The flexible kind work well.  I think you’ve got everything else lined up.   LOL

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    NickedEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 53

Ha Ha Ha! Funny man Marc…but…I DID!! Lol! Actually on your and other’s recommendation I got gloves and the safety shields PLUS I’m bringing in some dude from Florida to do the actual sharpening…no safety issues here! and you better believe the edges are going to be crisp!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H

No knife sharpeners in FL.  Those guys just go to “Early Bird Dinners” and play shuffleboard.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Haffner
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 29

You can also glue Spyderco ceramic pocket stones onto empy handles (I glued some 3mm aluminum flatbar beneath to get the height right). I’m really happy about these stones.

I’m sure someone like Ken Schwartz can cut Spyderco Ultra Fine ceramic stones that will fit onto a set of emty handles.

Marc H

Thanks for the suggestion JJ,  I too like to improvise.  I have found on several occasions while trying to “reinvent the wheel”, the amoung of effort, the expense and the results prove it would have been easier and better to just invest in the Wicked Edge product.  In your example you’re really attempting to make essentially the same stone they offer with a warranty and design consistency that interchanges better with the other stones in your collection.

I have nothing against creating something that’s new, unique, different or unavailable.  But to make essentially the same product they offer, it’s hard to out do them.  Wicked Edge stones are really top quality with very little quality related issues or product failures.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.