Advanced Search

1500-2200-3000 Concerns, Info From WE…

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Abrasives 1500-2200-3000 Concerns, Info From WE…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    NorCalQ
    Participant
    • Topics: 54
    • Replies: 149

Just got off the phone with WE and thought I’d pass along what I was told.  WE said that if I have the green/white, “1500” stamped handles, then the 1500 stones will fall in well with the 1500-2200-3000 progression.  Issues with the 1500 stones being finer than should be, were with earlier 1500 stones.

Also, I received my 2200/3000 stones from Amazon and they came in less than good condition, with a large gouge in one of the stones.  My real concern however, was that on one of the handles, the 3000 stone felt rougher than the 2200 stone, making me think that maybe that stone was the wrong grit.  WE said that many of these 2200/3000 stones may feel that way prior to break in.  Once broken in, they will be fine.

I have returned the Amazon handles and I reordered them directly from WE. My expectation is that the new stones will come in good condition and once broken in, I will be able to use a logical 1500>2200>3000 progression.  Just thought I’d pass along the information, incase others had the same questions that I did.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Brewbear
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 168

I order only from WE directly and I can tell you from personal experience their Customer Service is simply stellar. I don’t have enough superlatives to describe it. Several months after I bought my We 130 I noticed that the diamond coating on one of my 800 grit paddles was flaking off. I posted here and asked if it was normal. Several members encouraged me to contact Customer Service. Long story short, I had a new set of stones in three day, no fuss, no muss.

Eric
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 17

GREAT INFO. THANK YOU GENTLEMAN!!

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I generally order my Wicked Edge products directly from W.E.  To be clear, there are several good licensed Wicked Edge Dealer websites that sell new, current version, original sealed and packaged W.E. products that are the same exact products W.E. sells and at the same prices.  Sometimes these dealers may have products in stock that W.E. may be temporarily “sold out”.  Also, some of these dealers have shipping accommodations that may save you some money.  Just be sure you know what you’re buying and from who you’re buying it from.

If you run into a problem with purchased products, it is easier if you bought it directly from W. E. with their excellent customer service.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

NorCalQ
    Participant
    • Topics: 54
    • Replies: 149

Thanks for the replies.  My impatience made me go with Amazon, as they had next-day delivery on this.  My bad…

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Amazon sells for several W.E. licensed dealers, too.  You just have to look who the sellers are for the items your buying.  I happen to like buying W.E. from Amazon being a Prime member…gives expedited free shipping and they have a good, easy to deal with, return policy.

I have purchased plenty of problem free W.E. products from licensed W.E. sellers, selling through Amazon.  Also, I have purchased directly from W.E. and had problems  with products that W.E. resolved for me.  It works both ways.  Neither source is better or worse then the other.  No one is immune.  With buying from W.E. you do have someone you can speak with when making your purchases.  That in itself is a good reason to try to buy only from them.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Eric
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 17

I have good luck with BOB AT oldawan.

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.