Advanced Search

1000 grit – impressed.

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies 1000 grit – impressed.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Nicko
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 53

Hi, today I decided to re-profile a large kitchen knife. I decided on 18 degrees, a bit fine than some suggest but I treat my kitchen knives well and wanted to see what sort of an edge I could get seeing as I’ve been using the system for a couple of years now and I’ve lately been sharpening to 600 grit only.

So I scrubbed with 100 grit until the marker was removed, then did a little edge leading with the 100. Then I did 100 strokes a side edge leading, checking with my loupe after each stone I was very happy. I finished with fairly light pressure on the 1000 grit after donating some blood to the wicked edge gods (I was distracted) I ended up with the nicest 1000 grit edge I’ve ever made, it shaves beautifully and slices paper effortlessly, such a good system once stones are broken in.. now to re-profile every knife I own lol just because I can! Thanks to everyone who has posted advice, edge leading gives a sharper edge IMO.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Be very safety conscious when bring your fingers down onto exposed sharpened edges.  I suggest no-cut-gloves or Safety shields to “save the digits”.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Nicko
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 53

Be very safety conscious when bring your fingers down onto exposed sharpened edges. I suggest no-cut-gloves or Safety shields to “save the digits”.

Might just do that Mark, although it was a reminder for me to concentrate on the job at hand (no pun intended) 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.