Advanced Search

unable to create burr with 100 grit stones

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Basic Techniques and Sharpening Strategies unable to create burr with 100 grit stones

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    lookin4pain
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 2

I’ve been researching this as much as I can. Many people post that new users tend to think their stones are going bad, dull, don’t work anymore when they are actually breaking in. Call me new, that’s fine, but I’m trying to figure this out.

I, for the life of me, can’t create a burr with my 100 grit stones, but after 2 or 3 minutes with the 200s, I can get a burr just fine. I have spent 15, 20 minutes on the 100s, and just no luck.

Is there a way to test the grit of a stone to see if they are broken in, and it’s just me, or if I’m losin my mind…?

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I don’t use my 100/200s except where I’m trying to reprofile an edge or trying to remove some serious damage.  For that matter, I don’t use the burr as an indicator of establishing an apex.  In any case, I wouldn’t look for a burr until I use my 400s.  In fact, I try to not touch the apex with the 100s or 200s, as they can create some divots in the apex that are really difficult to remove with finer grits,

When presented with an edge that has some serious damage, it’s good practice to file the edge flat to the point where the deepest dings are completely leveled out.  While this seems to be illogical, it actually saves you quite a bit of effort as there is simply less steel to be removed.  If the resulting flat is so wide that the 400s don’t seem to be making progress, drop back to the 200s (or if needed, the 100s), but try not to cut into what you feel is the apex line.  It’s when these coarser stones hit the weakened strength of an apex that they can tear out chunks that will be difficult to remove.

The answer to your question?  Don’t look for a burr with your 100s.  If you get one, you’ve probably gone too far.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    M1rrorEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 222

I agree with TCMEYER!  Based on his advice long ago I too started “Filing” the  edge flat on significantly damaged edges first.  I don’t think it illogical at all, Why waste time reaching the apex until all the damage is removed.  I would get a pocket microscope or loupe if your really interested and inspect your edge frequently throughout the sharpening process.   You will actually see this for yourself.  With the 100’s and the 80’s and even the 200’s these are really course “work horses” for quickly removing material.  WARNING for future readers;  “Most knifes never need to go that course”!  They are, however, a great time saver for those who frequently repair damaged edges  “Actually repairing the edge and not just sharpening it”.   These are actually two different procedures.   On most well taken care of knives,  starting with the 400’s is enough.  When we say  “re-profile”, we mean “Changing the angle” which requires a lot of metal removal and thus requires a course grit to do it in a timely fashion.  When repairing a damaged edge you might need to go a little more course, however, for most people using the basic WE stones will do the sharpening task nicely.  In fact, once a knife is sharpened on a WE, in most cases, you can keep it that way with the lapping films or leather with diamond paste and never use the diamond stones..  Inspecting your edge with a loupe will give you whole new perspective on sharpening

I would add after re-reading your post;   If you are getting a burr at 200, you have established your apex and are right on track.  Just keep progressing and don’t look back. Your 100’s are probably tearing the burr off or “chucking off metal” with each pass.  If you keep grinding away, your removing too much metal and are reducing the life of your blade.  Getting the burr at 200 Says;  “You have “sharpened” the edge, now you just need to refine it and polish the the bevel.

Eddie Kinlen
    M1rror Edge Sharpening Service, LLC
    +1(682)777-1622

2 users thanked author for this post.
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I don’t disagree with the above, but it doesn’t answer the question on testing your 100g stones.

First, how old are they?  The 100g can be the first to wear out, since, for most sharpenings… they do the most work.

To test, I would take a “beater” knife (one you can experiment on).  Divide the knife with a Sharpie, and also mark the edge.  Run the edge 90 deg. on a fine stone (so that it’s uniformity dull… just a few strokes).  Then, set the angle so that you’re equal to the current bevel, or slightly favoring the shoulder.  Then scrub one section with the 100g stone, and the other with the 200g stone (straight up and down)… and see which section reaches the edge and/or creates a burr first.  Keep everything consistent (stroke speed, pressure, etc.), and check often, so you can see when you get a burr.  Don’t apply too much pressure… let the stones do the work.  (Set it up like this)…

IMG_0089

If the 200g stones “win” by a significant margin… then I would say it’s either time for a new set of 100g stones, or, if they’re new, maybe contact WE and see if there’s an issue with the stones.

Only other suggestion, and you may want to do this first, is clean your stones… make sure the 100g isn’t clogged up.  This can also keep it from cutting well.

Attachments:
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Are you keeping them clean? How many knives have you used your 100 vs 200’s on?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    lookin4pain
    Participant

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I realize I left my post a little lacking of info. I was in the middle of sharpening and rather frustrated. I understand the 100/200 stones are more for reprofiling. I won’t take them to a knife already sharpened. The reason I’ve been using them is that I’m finding out, most factory edges are not = on my knives. For example, I’ve had one knife with a 17.1 and 23 angle and it was a Damascus EDC. I’ve come across several of these and that is why I started working more with the 100/200s.

I bought the WEPS Pro 1 less than a month ago through amazon. I’ve added the upgrade kit, bought a USB x600 microscope and have added several stone sets, including the 50/80’s because of these 100’s taking forever to reprofile. I’ve sharpened less than 15 knives on this setup, most of them coming out decent. I blame that on my learning curve. After all, I did buy this because I can’t do it freehand…

I won’t have time for another day, but I will check out your process for testing the grits on an old junk knife cbwx34. My guess is that the 100’s are beat down. Not sure what I did to do this, but they feel more between 200’s & 400’s. Deffinately less gritty (smoother) than the 200’s

as for cleaning, I thought about this as well and have used an ultrasonic cleaner, windex, vibrating toothbrush, simple dawn soap and water. I’m fairly certain I have been able to clean them, however it doesn’t appear to change how these feel, sharpen.

thanks again for the support

edit:

for the record, I’m not trying to create an apex, burr with the 50/80’s. I’m simply using them to reprofile. From my understanding, apexing with 50/80’s can create micro chips (hence why I bought the microscope), but the 100/200’s should create the burr, and have on my first 10 knives or so.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Your 100’s are probably tearing the burr off or “chucking off metal” with each pass.  

I’ll agree with M1rrorEdge on his theory of why the 100’s don’t seem to create a burr, especially with such new stones.  A burr is a weakened edge which will roll over to the opposite side.  A really coarse grit could possibly rip such a loosely attached section of steel free from its anchor point.  This also seems to me to be possibly dependent on the qualities of the steel.

cbwx34
    Participant

I didn’t see this part before,,, and I don’t agree with this part.  Shouldn’t be an issue creating and detecting a burr off the 100g stone.

lookin4pain
    Participant

ok, quick update. I drew out the lines for 100/200 on a beater knife and after 7 sets of 10 strokes each, 200 wins. I took a pic, hope it shows what I am referring to. 100 on the left, 200 on the right. In the 200 you can see a slight shadow on the top of the ridge, that’s my burr. If there’s a better way to identify this, let me know.

thanks again

Attachments:
    NotVerySharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 33
    • Replies: 56

Thank you TC for jumping into the discussion.

cbwx34
    Participant

ok, quick update. I drew out the lines for 100/200 on a beater knife and after 7 sets of 10 strokes each, 200 wins. I took a pic, hope it shows what I am referring to. 100 on the left, 200 on the right. In the 200 you can see a slight shadow on the top of the ridge, that’s my burr. If there’s a better way to identify this, let me know. thanks again

Hard to tell… to me both sides look to have reached the edge, the 200g side does look “rougher”… but can’t say for sure.

I would call WE on Monday and see what they say.  I think there’s been a few cases like this before… and WE would take a look at the stones and try and figure out what the issue is… whether it’s normal wear, or something that should be replaced.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Yeah I agree with Curtis, you can definitely get a burr with the 100/200’s,I do it all the time when reprofiling (because as you stated most factory edges are not even from side to side). That being said it takes me about 15-20 min to reprofile an average 3.5″ folder blade to 15 dps with the 100’s. I don’t have the 50/80’s.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.