Advanced Search

Super polished edges

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos Super polished edges

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 490 total)
  • Author
    Edwin Lurvey
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 80

One of our moldmakers who put mirror polishes on microscopic sections of a core or cavity, always said that the more time you spend on the grit before this one, the less you have to use this one, and the more you use this one, the less you will have to use the next. It was the kind of advice saying, if you want good results, would you rather spend time doing it efficiently, or spend 4x the time doing it by going up a grit too soon?

Don Llewellyn
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 43

Very nice!

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Nice polish Jdee! Super my friend!

Cheers :cheer:
    Leo

John Herron
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 39

Needs more work kind of an odd edge out of the box.
    It was real sharp .
    Jdee

Attachments:
    Scott Babineaux
    Participant

Is it possible to order blank stone holders; without stone, leather or balsa?

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Yup! Call the Wicked Edge and speak with Kay and she will look after you. I don’t know the price.

Cheers
    Leo

Scott Babineaux
    Participant

Thx Leo,

I’ll give Kay a call then; wonder if the stone holders are perfectly flat?

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Thx Leo,

I’ll give Kay a call then; wonder if the stone holders are perfectly flat?

They are perfectly flat metal strips adhering to the paddle and the stone can be glued or stuck on with 3M double-sided tape. I forget the number but they should be able to tell you that when you call. The metal strips are great too because the angle cube has magnetic sides so you can stick the cube right on the paddle when you are checking your angle readings…if you have an angle cube.

Cheers
    Leo

Scott Babineaux
    Participant

what metal is it? I plan to mount aluminum blanks so I need get the correct compound to join them.

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

I don’t know…but it is attracted to magnets. I forget, but is aluminum attracted to magnets? Better call and find out for sure.

Leo

Todd
    Participant
    • Replies: 13

I don’t know…but it is attracted to magnets. I forget, but is aluminum attracted to magnets? Better call and find out for sure.

Leo

Nope. Aluminum will not attract a magnet.

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Leo

Nope. Aluminum will not attract a magnet.[/quote]

Thanks for the reminder…I didn’t think so.

Leo

Scott Babineaux
    Participant

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year all.

Kershaw Ken Onion Leek with my best polished edges todate.

I made my own polishing tape holder before I know that Wicked Edge carries them. I ordered a set of blank handles, 2mm plastic sheet and 1″ x 6″ aluminum blanks to hold 1 micron 1″ x 6″ polishing tape. The 2mm plastic and 3mm tape blankes are 5mm; the same height as the WEP stones so I don’t have to adjust the pivot arms when moving from the ceramics to the tapes. This setup should get me to within 0.02 microns of the 15k Shapton stone at 0.98 microns and better than the 10k Chosera at 1.74 microns. As has been stated before; the finer you go in grit; the more and finer scratches are exposed. I am seeing that I need to spend more time with each grit applying less pressure on the finishing strokes for each before moving on the next finer grit.

While the tapes will only last for a few knives they are still much cheaper than either the Chosera or Shapton stones. I’ve got abouot $30 into the tape holders and the polishing tapes themselves run about $10 for a package of 15 tapes where I get them. A pair of tapes should be able to do 3 or 4 knives so the $10 package of 15 tapes = 7 pair will do roughly 21 to 28 knives.

Clay I think you should indicate on the WEPS site that you have tape blank holders. I enjoyed the exercise but that would have saved me some time.

TonyJ
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 7

You may want to check out

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=toolshop&Product_Code=ST-MAF.XX&Category_Code=&Search=3m

who sell by the sheet and would seem cheaper and go down to .3 micron

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Scott Babineaux
    Participant

Thx Tony,

I planned to do some shopping around for this, you just saved me some time.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 490 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.