Advanced Search

Super polished edges

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos Super polished edges

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 490 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Who made thoses photographs, by the way Josh? They look like they’re done by a professional photographer (maybe ET will disagree ). But I’m not able to make such photographs.

Just done on my phone mark, and hosted on Smugmug. The Nexus 6 does a great job, it’s my go to camera until I get the Canon 6d up and running haha

Ugh. I need to trade in my LG phone together with my DSLR for a Nexus 6…

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Who made thoses photographs, by the way Josh? They look like they’re done by a professional photographer (maybe ET will disagree ). But I’m not able to make such photographs.

Just done on my phone mark, and hosted on Smugmug. The Nexus 6 does a great job, it’s my go to camera until I get the Canon 6d up and running haha

Ugh. I need to trade in my LG phone together with my DSLR for a Nexus 6…

Don’t do that mark! You take some amazing photos!! But it is amazing how much the right lighting makes a difference!  ?

Mark76
    Participant

But I still wonder how you got that contrast between the sharp areas in focus and the unsharp areas out of focus (dunno the English terminology, something to with focal depth). Smartphones are notoreously bad at this and DSLR’s are good at it (with the right settings).

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Josh
    Participant

But I still wonder how you got that contrast between the sharp areas in focus and the unsharp areas out of focus (dunno the English terminology, something to with focal depth). Smartphones are notoreously bad at this and DSLR’s are good at it (with the right settings).

Mark, if you have a smartphone and look up an app called “Camera FV-5” you can pay for and download it. Then it allows you to manually control the focus =)

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427

Selective focus is a product of the aperture of the lens…  a wide open lens at a larf F stop f/1.5 or f/1.8 or f/2.0 will give you selective focus. a stopped down lens f/10 or f/15 etc, will keep the whole frame in focus. Many point and shoot cameras and cells ) are all auto focus and the camera selects the f stop and shutter speed. There is little to no control from the photographer. Like I say in some photographic forums… you can take a shot of a bunch of Winston cup cars on the High Bank at Talladega but without photographic control, the camera may choose  a fast shutter speed, because there is a lot of available light, a fast shutter speed from an auto select camera, will make those cars look like they are parked because there is no motion blur from the tires. Everything including the tires are sharp…. It like shooting a shot of a prop plane and seeing the  prop blades frozen as if the engines have stalled. There should be prop blur when a prop plane is in flight, to show motion. Photography is a science… so many combinations of parameters to get the final result. White balance, shutter speed , aperture, ISO, composition, the rules of composition, lighting shadows, controlling lens flair, then there is Post processing, lens selection, it goes on and on..

Mark76
    Participant

Mark, if you have a smartphone and look up an app called “Camera FV-5” you can pay for and download it. Then it allows you to manually control the focus =)

But isn’t the point that smart phone camera’s all have fixed aperture openings, whereas you can very them on a DSLR?

Mark76
    Participant

I’ve downloaded the app, Josh. Not used it yet, but will soon. According to tests my LG G4 has (for a smartphone) a very good camera. But the stock app sucks.

ET, I hadn’t read your last reply when I made my previous reply. I think my smartphone has a fixed aperture of f/1.7. Are you saying I should be able to get selective focus with that? (And English is not my first language. Is it correct that selective focus means that the things close by – or where you focus on – are sharp and that things further away are blurred? Like in Josh’ second-last photograph.)

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427

Mark do some reading on depth of field… DOF, aperture controls the depth of field… there are many calculations to seleting the correct aperature.. people do not want to do that anymore, So point and shoot cameras have become the norm. lenses are much better now but the camera takes on the role of the photographer..  the camera decides how to take the photo it wants.. some cameras have portrait mode, and some have macro, and some have action mode all changing shutter speed and aperture, to a general setting..  some smart phots will allow you to select the point of focus buy touching the screen were you want the focus to key in.

The good news about a smart phone is that if you see a flying saucer or Big foot, we are going to get a good picture of it.  So with all these phones, (everyone has one )we have yet to see any UFO’s or Yettie.  LOL..

Mark76
    Participant

Ah, DOF, that’s the term I was looking for . I know it in Dutch (and what it is…) but forgot the English term. Thanks!

Josh
    Participant

I’ve downloaded the app, Josh. Not used it yet, but will soon. According to tests my LG G4 has (for a smartphone) a very good camera. But the stock app sucks. ET, I hadn’t read your last reply when I made my previous reply. I think my smartphone has a fixed aperture of f/1.7. Are you saying I should be able to get selective focus with that? (And English is not my first language. Is it correct that selective focus means that the things close by – or where you focus on – are sharp and that things further away are blurred? Like in Josh’ second-last photograph.)

Mark an interesting thing about this app, while it still pales in comparison to a well taken DSLR photo, this app allows you to take pics in RAW from your phone! lol it’s pretty neat even though I haven’t played w/ it too much.

Mark76
    Participant

Yeah, shooting in RAW is important to me. I’m used to post-processing in Lightroom and cannot imagine life without it anymore. (Although I must say I only do this with DLSR photographs – but maybe now with phone pics as well.)

jimbo45
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 39

scarab1

not as good as other others but here’s my scarab.

Attachments:
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

looking good, man.  About perfect bevel.  Bet you had to be careful not to touch that first tooth on the serrated section.

Alan

Mark76
    Participant

Very nice!

jimbo45
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 39

I literally couldn’t be happier with my wicked edge.

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 490 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.