Advanced Search

WOW

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat WOW

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Josh Berresheim
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 12

Hello everyone, this is my first post on the forum. I have been watching a TON of videos on YouTube. There were a few people who really sold me on the Wicked Edge. I bought the PP2 and just ordered the 50/80 stones and the 1200/1600 stones. I am getting good results. I am OCD to the point I really want an edge to tree top hair. There is so much to read on here it’s keeping me up at night!!!! I am also wanting to put on a couple true mirror polished edges. I still have some fine scratches with the 1 and,.5 leather strops. Will the nano cloth help me here?

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

Welcome….

The inmates have taken over the asylum……. you’ll love it here.

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hi Josh, welcome to the forum! Enjoy your WEPS and don’t hesitate to ask any more questions.

My first reaction when I read your question was: are you sure you wiped out all scratches from previous grits in your stone progression? If you’ve done everything properly, you should have a pretty mirror edge after the .5 micron strops. That said, cow leather has some abrasive silicones in it itself, so at very low micron ranges nano cloth may work better.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Lance Waller
    Participant
    • Topics: 23
    • Replies: 138

Hey man! Welcome! The key here is what mark76 said. Make sure you remove all the scratches from the previous grit or you won’t get a true mirrored edge. Also…your kit is new and you need to break in the stones. It will take 10-15 sharpening a to break em in so they’re not so aggressive. When you go through all of the diamonds and then to ceramics….spend quite a bit of time on the ceramics. You also need the 14/10 micron strops and the 5/3.5. The 14/10 is paramount on getting a true mirrored edge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh Berresheim
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 12

Thanks so much guys! I did spend quite some time lapping my ceramic stones. I finally was able to flatten them out. I already have several people wanting me do do their knives. 🙂

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Would you get the 14/10 in leather or balsa?

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I would have to recommend balsa at this point… it doesn’t have as much “stiction” but it works great and you don’t have to lower angles when transitioning from stones to balsa (dps measured by angle cube is what I’m referring to here).

Kyle
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 8

I wonder this as well as I haven’t purchased any strops yet and have been doing some research before I purchase them. I see that people state that the leather brings of the polish but balsa brings out crazy sharpness so I was thinking of 14/10 and 5/3.5 on leather to bring out the shine and then the 1/.6 micron on balsa to bring out that final edge and insane sharpness.

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

I wonder this as well as I haven’t purchased any strops yet and have been doing some research before I purchase them. I see that people state that the leather brings of the polish but balsa brings out crazy sharpness so I was thinking of 14/10 and 5/3.5 on leather to bring out the shine and then the 1/.6 micron on balsa to bring out that final edge and insane sharpness.[/quote]

At such a fine grit/low micron, I’d recommend leather. Stropping is simply another phase in the overall sharpening process. Just like you move to higher and higher grits with the diamonds, the stropping media and the compound applied need to follow the same linear progression. All in all, taking into consideration the entire spectrum from point A to point Z, the abrasives used get finer and finer.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.