Advanced Search

Workspace Suggestion for a great deal…

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Workspace Suggestion for a great deal…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    craftyhack
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 48

Hi All, in preparation for setting up my sharpening station (and also for a reloading station for my shotgun shell and brass progressives), I have been looking for a quality yet affordable option. After looking around for a while, I have settled on picking up a couple of these while they are on sale for $129.99+tax at Harbor Freight. Solid THICK wood table top with several types of vices build in if needed, nice drawers for storage of knifes to do, stones and strops, etc. They are normally on sale between $140-$145.

http://www.harborfreight.com/60-inch-workbench-93454.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=4712b&utm_source=1023

Video overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMaMx0qrbfk

I have checked it out in store before and you really cannot beat the value IMO, even if you try and build your own I think. Here is a pic. Just wanted to post in case anyone was looking for an option on a good sharpening space.

Attachments:
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Looks like a good idea!

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Nice. That’s a smoking deal. :woohoo:

craftyhack
    Participant

I will be picking up a couple today or tomorrow, making room now for at least one of them, will let ya know how it works out, although sale is over tomorrow :/. I just saw it last night…

Gary Crumb
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 119

I will be picking up a couple today or tomorrow, making room now for at least one of them, will let ya know how it works out, although sale is over tomorrow :/. I just saw it last night…

I’d be interested in seeing how stable it ends up being. Usually those types of benches have quite a bit of wobble. for light stuff it might not be too bad though. Please keep us posted!

craftyhack
    Participant

WIll do, and it sure better not wobble! If it does hopefully I will be able to reinforce it with l brackets or something, given most of the alternatives (other than building my own, which would definitely wobble :D) are twice the $ for just a simple bench with a top that thick.

Gary Crumb
    Participant

A diagonal across the back or even a thin piece of panel should eliminate any wobble for cheap. but it may not need it. Hopefully it won’t…

craftyhack
    Participant

They sold out before I got there at the $130 price, but I got a coupon for $140, went to store to check it out, solid as a rock and very nice IMO. I got one a day before my leg surgery, will take six weeks to heal, so I cannot rearrange to put it somewhere, nor build it :/. That said, if you have HF near you, check out the store display, I think it is a steal for that price. You can get the coupon just by joining their email list.

I think this thing is gonna rock for a sharpening/reloading station as it is! But, adding a peg board (or maybe a hutch with more storage, peg board and long tube florescent light) for reloading dies, etc., and it will be even better.

Gary Crumb
    Participant

I will have to check that out for sure! All I need is somewhere to put it. Now if I can just convince the wife she doesn’t really need that table in that room. I mean it’s just the dining room, right?

craftyhack
    Participant

I convinced mine to swap out the dining room for a pool rooom and bar, and we just eat in the kitchen breakfast nook. My reasoning was why have 2 places to eat, one that we never use, and none for guests to hang out and have fun, and it worked!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.