Advanced Search

Will the curved stones handle these knives?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Tips for Specific Knife Grinds and Styles Will the curved stones handle these knives?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 52
    • Replies: 263

Will the curved stones handle the Spyderco Cricket and/or Dodo? They are very small blades with some pretty sharp curves. I included the Benchmade Mini-Grip for size reference.

Thanks!

Attachments:

Working to make knife.wickededgeusa.com a great forum!

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Yes they will. The problem for me is that they are all me is that they are only 400 and 600 grit. I found that my choseras are thick enough to handle the curvres and for me worked better. Hence I’m going to sell my set.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Yes they will. The problem for me is that they are all me is that they are only 400 and 600 grit. I found that my choseras are thick enough to handle the curvres and for me worked better. Hence I’m going to sell my set.

One thing you can do is add PSA tapes to your curved stones. I may even begin making a curved profile in aluminum for using PSA tapes so that a full range of grits is available without having to purchase so many extra stones.

-Clay

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

One thing you can do is add PSA tapes to your curved stones. I may even begin making a curved profile in aluminum for using PSA tapes so that a full range of grits is available without having to purchase so many extra stones.[/quote]

The new aluminum stones sounds like an excellent idea! Please excuse my newness can you tell me more about PSA tapes?
    Oh and by the way Clay? I love love love my We!! It is all I can think about doing anymore!!

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

EamonMcGowan – 3M makes some abrasive papers, like sandpaper with various abrasives down to ultra fine particles like .3 microns. Some are just plain papers and others are called PSA which are adhesive backed papers, peel and stick style. They make them with diamond and other abrasives.

-Clay

developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster

Thanks guys! I just ordered the curved stones. Now I’ll just have to figure out the best way to use them with those Spyderco recurves. :unsure: Funny thing is, In the past I steered away from buying recurves, because I didn’t know how I would sharpen them. But after trying the Cricket, it’s become one of my favorite EDC knives. Not sure about the Dodo yet… I know it’s not going to win any beauty contests! 😆

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

But after trying the Cricket, it’s become one of my favorite EDC knives. Not sure about the Dodo yet… I know it’s not going to win any beauty contests! 😆

Actually I vastly prefer the Dodo. The handle locks in your hand giving you a lot more leverage. Perfect for cutting zip ties and such (which I used to do 100 times a day!)

And I find it beautiful. Especially that CF model with its ceramic ball. Sweet!

Ken

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

Please excuse my newness can you tell me more about PSA tapes?

Look at the bottom of this page for examples:

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/dept.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&dept_id=13516

One thing to keep in mind. These are soft, like strops. You’ll want to use edge trailing strokes with them or you’ll cut right into them.

A curved base plate sounds like a great idea, Clay,

Ken

developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster

But after trying the Cricket, it’s become one of my favorite EDC knives. Not sure about the Dodo yet… I know it’s not going to win any beauty contests! 😆

Actually I vastly prefer the Dodo. The handle locks in your hand giving you a lot more leverage. Perfect for cutting zip ties and such (which I used to do 100 times a day!)

And I find it beautiful. Especially that CF model with its ceramic ball. Sweet!

Ken[/quote]

Actually the reason I like the cricket so much is that it’s so small and thin, and it won’t freak anyone out where I work. I haven’t used my Dodo yet. It was really expensive. It came really dull from Spyderco–rare in my experience. I can see what you mean about the zip ties!

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

I haven’t used my Dodo yet. It was really expensive.

Yeah, the CF was. I have a couple blue G10/S30Vs so I passed on the CF.

It came really dull from Spyderco–rare in my experience.

No biggie, I almost always sharpen my knives before carrying them. But, yes, it’s uncommon to get dull Spydies.

I can see what you mean about the zip ties!

I had customers who zip tied their Ethernet cables into bundles then zip tied the bundles to the racks. No problem. Slip the tip in and gently pull. No more zip ties 😉

I liked the Velcro ties much better!

Ken

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.