Advanced Search

Will Chan’s mods, package arrives!

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Will Chan’s mods, package arrives!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

I have not been feeling up to snuff, so I have not gotten around yet to putting Will’s mods together on my WEPS yet, but here is a beginning.

Inside he had carefully packed each item and here they are on my desk

These are high quality parts carefully machined ready to go. Sorry if my pics are not the best. BTW they arrived a mere 4 days after being sent, which must be some kind of record for the USPS to Canada speed.

Here is a closer shot of the main device for holding an overly long knife steady while it is being sharpened. It is very adjustable for a variety of sizes and the notch that keeps the knife in place is deep and the column it is notched in is thick and solid for good rigidity.

That aside, the parts that really appeals to me and may to you too if you are aging ungracefully,, :huh: are the large screws/adjusters that are used to set the angle. Over the years it has become harder and harder for me to tighten the angle adjusting screws that were original to the WEPS…time takes its toll with arthritis. Will’s mods are wonderfully easy to set…just tighten slightly so the screw kisses the angle bar and then flip done the large stainless steel handles and the angle is more rigidly set than I ever have gotten it. No wibbles or wobbles, just nice and tight.
    My lung infection is almost over thankfully and then I will have the whole thing set up for a review. Patience please,old geezers move at a snail’s pace! 😉

Back soon! Thanks to Will for his fine service! 🙂

Leo

P.S. Pardon the dust in my pictures…I need to vacuum!

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

It looks excellent it will save you a lot of time.
    I wish you a speedy recovery I can imagine using the WE with the new gear will precede the vacuuming – probable best to do it after since it may cause a little dust in any case.

Leo Nav

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Thanks for the speedy recovery wishes Leo. I get these infections all the time…this is my third one this year. How tiresome! Thanks to Buddha for azithromycin.
    Definitely will speed things up and improve things when sharpening long thin blades, like a filleting knife for example. And yes, I will leave the vacuuming until after I do some sharpening. Darlene has given up on my cleaning methods in my man cave. The only time I really notice is when I take a picture…my dang Pentax lenses are too sharp! 😆

Leo the decrepit one 😉

Tim
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 9

Hey thanks for the post. I am new here but have similar issues with arthritis and those mods look great. I also sharpen a lot of fillet knifes and that long knife brace is something I really need. I searched under Will Chan but did not find him, do you have contact info, if that is allowed on this forum?

Also, I really like your sharpener base. Is that marble or quartz?

Thanks,

Tim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Hey thanks for the post. I am new here but have similar issues with arthritis and those mods look great. I also sharpen a lot of fillet knifes and that long knife brace is something I really need. I searched under Will Chan but did not find him, do you have contact info, if that is allowed on this forum?

Also, I really like your sharpener base. Is that marble or quartz?

Thanks,

Tim

The sharpener base is quartz and Will is a member here known as Voodoodaddy. You can PM him for more information.

Leo
    :cheer:

Tim
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 9

Thank you very much!

Tim

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

I neglected to say when I was describing the main mod for holding the knife firmly while sharpening, that at the opposite end from the deeply notched rod that supports the knife, is a heavy duty screw…it fits into a hole that is tapped into the base of the riser that supports the vise. You can see that hole in the picture with all the parts displayed.
    You will see how the whole thing connects when I go on into part b later today and part c of the review tomorrow…with any luck. :unsure:

Leo

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

And YESsss, they’ve arrived in the Netherlands, too! :cheer: Thanks Will!

I’m on holiday right now, but when I’m back, I’ll assemble it.

Leo, get well soon!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Are you off to France again Mark? Have a great time! :silly:

Leo

Mark76
    Participant

Thanx! I’m in Switzerland, skiing. Less chance here of buying sharp objects I’m not allowed to :angry: :silly: .

Leo Barr
    Participant

Victorinox new limited edition forged chefs knives look very interesting.
    http://www.victorinox.com/ch/product/Cutlery/Category/Forged-Chef-s-Cutlery/Grand-Maître/Chef-s-knife-forged-normal-straight-edge-20cm/7.7400.20G

Sorry leading you into temptation certainly worth a look between descents.

`Leo Nav

Leo Barr
    Participant

http://www.victorinox.com/ch/category/Category/Forged-Chef-s-Cutlery/2004?f=category&v=2/200/2004&m=add&
    These look tempting that is if you get a moment away from the slopes a forged Victorinox chefs knife sounds tempting from a purely curious point of view .

Leo Nav

Mark76
    Participant

Hahah! I’m immune. This is what I posted two years ago: http://www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topic&catid=4&id=2303&Itemid=271#2303

Leo Barr
    Participant

It is the first time I have been aware of their forged steel chef knives their ordinary ones are very good for the price the steel is really good .
    I can imagine the forged steel knives shift up a gear or two .
    Maybe lacking in the grace of a french knife possible more German looking but it would be interesting to hear from someone that owns one of these.
    The Percival knife is currently my favourite looking Chefs knife from France( otherwise I have to say Takeda is my favourite) ,their table knives are pretty awesome not to mention the folders with meteorite or Jade scales.

Leo Nav

Mark76
    Participant

Have you got a link, Leo? The one you posted results in a page not found at my side.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.