Advanced Search

Which Diamond Spray

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Which Diamond Spray

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    john tafoya
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 2

This is my first post & have searched the site looking for my answer.
    Looking for recommendations on which spray to use on a roo strop for touch ups.
    I really like how my knives perform off the 1000grit WICKED EDGE. I like the toothy edge for edc to hunting & butchering.
    I usually touch up on stropman but eventually loose my toothy edge. Knife gets sharp but not toothy.
    Of the different sprays which micron would keep me the toothy edge I am looking for?
    Thanks in advanced.

john tafoya
    Participant

Excuse me if I posted in the wrong forum.

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Hey John,

Welcome to the forum. I think the mod can move this to the correct place.

If you have no strops yet, for your first one I would recommend the 5/3.5 (paste) on leather. This is a good all around grit. If you have not used strops on the WE I would suggest starting with regular leather as there is a bit of a learning curve, that way you don’t cut up good roo strops first time out.

If you just just want to strop to touch up the 5/3.5 or 14/10 is what I recommend for starters. If I do a quick blade stopping at 1000# then I use 14/10 and done.

For touch ups I have not stropped on the WE (before WE I used to strop by hand). When I touch up a blade on WE I go to 1000# diamonds if needed or the ceramics. Then stropping afterwords.

Someone with more experience can better speak to this topic. If you like the toothy edge then stopping at 1000# diamonds is correct. If you strop after that then you will refine the edge, remove scratches, and loose the toothy-ness.

john tafoya
    Participant

Thanks Geo for the welcome and reply! I should have clarified more. I am looking to use a hand roo strop loaded with polycrystalline spray that will keep me a toothy edge for touch ups. I have the WE PP2 kit. You are correct as I touch up on my stropman strop i evently remove scratches loose the tootle-ness. There are several choices too choose from. I’m just not sure which micron would work best for me on what I am looking for.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hi jtnm, welcome to the forum! Glad you like your WEPS.

I second Geo’s advice for the WE diamond pastes. As an additional advantage they give you a nice polished edge as well.

But polycrystalline diamond spray is also excellent stuff. I myself use Kan Schwartz’s sprays. CBN also works very well, I think it is on par with his diamond sprays. Depending on your toothiness requirements you could use anything in the range 5-1 micron. A 1000 grit diamond stone equals about 7 microns (see the grit comparison chart) so there you have a point of reference.

Success!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

JS
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 109

I use the 1 micron and 0.5 micron CBN sprays from Ken Schwartz, and they are excellent. The 5 micron and 3.5 diamond pastes that Clay sells have also worked great in my use.

To be fair, I have never used a cheaper diamond spray such as the Hand American or DMT paste so I can’t tell you if the CBN sprays provide noticeably better results. What I can tell you is that there’s no disappointment using Ken’s spray.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.