Advanced Search

What would be interesting for kids to view under a microscope?

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic What would be interesting for kids to view under a microscope?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

My nephew and niece (10-12 years old) are visiting next weekend and they’d like to play with my USB-microscope. Now they’re not very much interested in knife edges , so does anyone have a suggestion as to what might be interesting to view for them under a microscope?

Thanks!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Any little bugs can be super cool.  We found a tiny little ant and other things like that.  I alway enjoy zooming on a penny until you can see Lincoln sitting in his chair.  Sand is cool.  There are so many things…
    http://www.examiner.com/article/50-things-to-look-at-under-a-microscope

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant

Thanks! Insects had come to my mind as well, but to make them look at a squashed fly… But the link gives super-good ideas.

M1rrorEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 222

A few drops of pond water is usually pretty exciting.  That is what sparked my interest as a kid.  Especially when they realize it is only one or two drops and then compair that to the whole pond or lake.  It shows them the pond or lake is truly alive…and is something taken for granted.  Opens the door to the “web of life” and how connected everything really is.

Eddie Kinlen
    M1rror Edge Sharpening Service, LLC
    +1(682)777-1622

3 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

When I got my first USB ‘scope, I picked a fly up off the floor.  It had been swatted earlier in the day.  I was amazed by the quality of the images when we noticed that the fly’s abdomen was still pulsing.  The little bugger was still alive.  We could see where his exoskeleton had been cracked and blood(?) was visible, shimmering under the ‘scope.  My wife freaked out and insisted that I squish it immediately.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

… so does anyone have a suggestion as to what might be interesting to view for them under a microscope? Thanks!

The password to your Xbox… 

Mark76
    Participant

Gregg776
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 59

Almost anything is interesting under a microscope.  Besides what is listed above: hair, human and pet; dust; dryer lint; circuit boards form anything electronic; mold; flower petals; wood; the thin membrane of an onion is only one cell thick, a little food coloring may enhance it; you can buy sets of educational slides and kits of various slide dyes for more serious investigating.  You can investigate the differences how inkjet printers, laser printers, ball point pens, crayons, pencils look on paper and compare them to paper money printing.  Pretty soon you won’t get a chance to use the microscope yourself.  But if it keeps them from the Xbox, it will be worth it.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.