Advanced Search

What do you do when you just can’t a burr on hunting knife

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Advanced Techniques and Sharpening Strategies What do you do when you just can’t a burr on hunting knife

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

]
    Damn Josh, Nice work!
    Did you belt and Jig that?
    Perfect.

Nah it was freehand on my belt sander against the 10″ wheel

Ziggy
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 177

]
    Damn Josh, Nice work!
    Did you belt and Jig that?
    Perfect.

Nah it was freehand on my belt sander against the 10″ wheel[/quote]

You riding the 10″ directly for the hollow grind?
    One side at a time?

Josh
    Participant

Not sure I follow… what do you mean directly?

Give me a buz and we can discus 😀 I will be up for about 4 more hours tonight if you have free… you got my # or it’s on my website

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

Well now wait a sec..don’t hide it from us..lol. I think what he is asking is..since you did it on your belt sander with the 10″ wheel then you would have a slight hollow grind to the regrind being it was cut on the outer diameter of the 10″wheel..unless you mean you did it on an attachment on your belt sander that is a 10″ sanding disk wheel where the wheel spins around and then the grind would be flat instead of having the 10″ diameter wheel hollow grind to it. Was I right? Was that what you meant?

What was the answer?

Did I win?

What did I win?

:woohoo:

Josh
    Participant

Well now wait a sec..don’t hide it from us..lol. I think what he is asking is..since you did it on your belt sander with the 10″ wheel then you would have a slight hollow grind to the regrind being it was cut on the outer diameter of the 10″wheel..unless you mean you did it on an attachment on your belt sander that is a 10″ sanding disk wheel where the wheel spins around and then the grind would be flat instead of having the 10″ diameter wheel hollow grind to it. Was I right? Was that what you meant?

What was the answer?

Did I win?

What did I win?

I just didn’t want to de-rail the thread lol. Yes, I re-ground the blade with a hollow grind since it was against the 10″ wheel, that is correct. A sanding disc would have made it a flat grind, not a hollow. =)

Ziggy
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 177

What was the answer?

Did I win?

What did I win?

You win the Internet Zamfir!

Yep, was wondering if Josh was using a jig it came out so good!
    Even the lines look like it was machined.
    Great freehand, perfect line going to the tip. Consider he had to work side to side.

I’ve seen setups with 2 belts, wheels, jigs that are I guess for knife makers.

This is nice free thinking.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.