Advanced Search

WEPS Community Opinion on Addition

Recent Forums Main Forum WEPS Community Opinion on Addition

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    NH2JR
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 1

Hello All, I was hoping to get your opinions on my current set up. I am looking to purchase an addition to my current setup and wanted to hear what what you all think. This is what I currently have:

Field and Sport

Stones: 50/80, 100/200, 400/600, 800/100

Ceramic: 1200/1600

Leather Strops w/ 3.5/5 micron paste

Blank Aluminum handles

I bought the aluminum handles and wanted to try the 3M Wet/Dry Polishing Paper. I found that this paper is no good and I was wondering if you all think it is ok to use the diamond lapping strips on the aluminum handles.

I was thinking a set of Chosera stones would be a nice addition to my setup but unsure if I should go with 2000/3000 or 5000/10000. I have been reading some opinions on the ceramic stones I have and now feel like maybe I wasted by money with these. Since I already have them would it be wise to go from the 1200/1600 to the Chosera 5000/10000?

Thank you all in advance for your inputs.

Frans
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 83

I bought the aluminum handles and wanted to try the 3M Wet/Dry Polishing Paper. I found that this paper is no good and I was wondering if you all think it is ok to use the diamond lapping strips on the aluminum handles.

Yes, that will work fine. The glass blanks might be flatter in the absolute sense but in practice you will hardly notice any difference.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

This is an ok setyp. Personally I’d add diamond lapping films on glass platens.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

1 user thanked author for this post.
    NH2JR
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 1

Thank You for the responses. Given my current set of stones/ceramic, would you add any of the Chosera Stone sets in addition to the glass platens with diamond films?

M1rrorEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 222

I would try the lapping films first and if your satisfied, you may decide you don’t need the Chosera Stone sets.  My opinion is that the Chosera stones are softer on the steel (So less scratches) but with higher maintenance (cleaning and water required and eventual stone lapping). Watch Tom use the Chosera’s here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP1yMkhb2RQ

In comparison,  the lapping films are much cleaner, easier to use, and very effective.  They are consumables, so, they can get expensive with time.  If your goal is brilliant edges, than the lapping films are my first choice.  Don’t get me wrong the Chosera stones are effective at making edges brilliant as well but it just takes more work to get there and the clean up can be a pain.  Because they wear over time they also must be frequently lapped.  Watch Clay recently using the diamond Lapping Film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGMF2dWIesY

I,  like many other avid users found on this forum have “retired” our Ceramics.  All the tools can get you to your desired goal, it’s just a matter of time and convenience for me.  Check out the videos and decide.   I sharpen about 20 knives per week.  With that in mind, the lapping films have saved me a lot of time.

Tell us what you think after you decide and give it a try!

Eddie Kinlen
    M1rror Edge Sharpening Service, LLC
    +1(682)777-1622

2 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

<hr />

I started out with home-made glass and was plagued by scratches caused by brushing the sides of the blades with an edge of the glass.  Apparently, I wasn’t polishing the edges of the glass well enough.  So I tried film on a pair of the aluminum handles.  First, I lapped the AL on 800 grit sandpaper on granite.  Worked great, so I switched all my glass stones to brass (lapped) and am very pleased with it.  I wish it was magnetic to hold the angle cube better, but no more stray scratches.

I can’t believe that glass has any advantage over any metal platen, given the pressure applied.  The film is the soft part, having maybe a couple of thou in “give”

1 user thanked author for this post.
    378pete
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 19

This is an ok setyp. Personally I’d add diamond lapping films on glass platens.

+1

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.