Advanced Search

WE Go, WE100?

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started WE Go, WE100?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 37

Cross post for reference and documentation.

Again, thank you WE guys for making this product, it is very good.

Things I messed up and you wouldn’t see in the video:

1. I broke the corner of the glass platen on first day (cross crash?)
    2. I did not secure the angle slot enough two times, seems there are small hole that you can really screw in for the angle and I did not know, so I messed up a bit.
    3. Still can’t whittle hair or shave.

Things I really like about the system:

1. Awesome mechanical design, very easy to sharpen, very easy to change stone
    2. Best building precision and quality of manual sharpening system I have handled. Probably the best on planet Earth, Solar system at the moment.
    3. Good quality abrasives. People buying the WE clone from China do not appreciate the mechanical quality and the abrasive quality.
    4. Nearly no knowledge required if you plan to get all the stones. I should have really gotten the 1.4/0.6 ceramics as well, that would really prolong the life of the lapping films, and they are expensive. Some knowledge required if you plan to do the last few steps freehand.
    5. I really like how consistent the edge is. There is a huge skill level required to get an edge as consistent you get from the Wicked Edge with little skill. Maybe the clamp system guided sharpener (TSPROF, Hapstone with clamp, KME) is close, but you could still have biased grind if you are not concentrated.

Things I would really like to see some day:

1. Venev Bonded Diamond abrasives for WE. These are the best kept secret of diamond abrasives.
    2. Dry system: actually maybe okay? I wonder if the system is water resistant, I am a bit worry about the metal dust. If it is okay I will spray water onto it.
    3. More third party stone: demise of proprietary abrasive. I say the premium worth it, but if more people can afford this system that would just be super awesome.

Aside from the premium that some guys would boo boo on, there are really nothing wrong with the WE, in fact I really recommend it. Thanks guys. Now off to sell more knives just to buy more accessories…

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Forgive me, but why would you use a Wicked Edge to put a precise fixed angle on your knife to just round it over with a hand-held, unsteady, fee-hand stone then strop?  I think if you’d give the WE a chance and do the full progression, with it, including strops you’d really be impressed.

I use my Wicked Edge with Shapton Glass Whetstones frequently.  I haven’t had an issue with the water.  They just take a spritz, not a soaking like some other whetstones.  I do use a cloth to catch any run off and protect my vice.  A couple times a year I break-down everything for preventive maintenance.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Forgive me, but why would you use a Wicked Edge to put a precise fixed angle on your knife to just round it over with a hand-held, unsteady, fee-hand stone then strop?

Because the courier did not deliver my lapping film in time, was expected yesterday but delayed to today 🙁

Will make part 2 for the video soon.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

Hello L, good initial review! I’m sorry you broke a platen already but it sounds like you are getting your feet wet. Don’t expect to much for 8 or 10 knives buddy. It takes the stones a while to start giving results that I think will blow you away. I know you have an angle device so please check the angle on the stones every time you change grits. This can save you some potential problems down the road. The micro ceramics are a great stone but those took longer to bread in than the diamonds for some reason but you are correct they prove to be way more economical than films are. I think you will find that as you go you will find where the “skill” part comes in as you get used to it all and start getting comfortable. There was so much more to this than I could have imagined when I started, but you are right, you can sharpen knives better than most using other methods, with very little or no experience.

sksharp
    Participant

I wanted to tell you water is not a problem for the WE. I take it apart and spray mine in the kitchen sink all the time and have not had any issues. I also have shapton pro stones and don’t make much of a mess at all with them. Like MarcH stated they only require a little water as the stones don’t soak anything up like chosera’s or arkansas stones and you’re not building a slurry with shaptons so not much mess. I apply a little water every 20 or 30 strokes by dipping my finger in water and lightly rubbing the stone with 2 or 3 drops at a time.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Okay, I just sold my Benchmade 940-2, Spyderco Rubicon1/2 and Nirvana to get more accessories…

sksharp
    Participant

Careful……..You might get hooked! LOL

What are you thinking about adding besides the micro-ceramic, if you don’t mind me asking?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just the micro ceramic and one more set of kangaroo strops.

Maybe I will get a Pelican case and DIY a box for the setup later. Got good recommendation?

Marc H

“L” an intended kind suggestion: get a little organized.  Clean up the clutter on your work station and organize your operation.  Make a place for the stones where you don’t need to reach across the clamped knife and keep your work-flow area clear.

Watching the first 38 seconds in fast motion with you reaching over and across a knife clamped with the exposed blade up as you fished your stones out of a jumbled pile, I was waiting for the blood to spurt.  I watched you sharpen 4 knives shown a “FF” with a method that had no regard for your well-being.  Safety is paramount when using a Wicked Edge.  If you finally develop your technique and really achieve a sharp edge and you continue sharpening in the fashion exhibited in this video, have the bandaids ready!

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have ordered the micro ceramic, on more set of strops and the low angle adapter. Gotta be around 2 weeks until they arrive…

Marc H

“L” it takes good consistent technique learned with time and patience.  I think your on your way.  Stay with it.  When you think you’ve done enough strokes with a particular stone give it another 25 or 50 bilateral strokes.

Splitting or whittling hairs takes a very acute apex and a thin wire edge.  This wire edge is knocked down with stropping.  Try whittling your hair first thing.  Right after your done with your finest lapping film. Don’t use the strop.  See if you get better results whittling hair.   It is hard with soft hair.

I still strop as a last step to get the truly sharp working edge.  What you call that “sexy” edge.  The good paper cutting edge you like.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

sksharp
    Participant

As far as recommendations for you go L, it looks like you have all the diamonds, lapping films, now ceramics and adding the LAA will allow for very low angles. I think I would spent some time getting to know the system and new mediums you are being introduced to. Spend some time to get to know each other so to speak.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello guys really appreciate the inputs. I can feel the diamond plates are still breaking in and I shall proceed to sharpen everything in the house.

Will report back to you guys when I have new progress. 🙂

Have a nice day!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I bought the Ikea Damascus knife at USD $35 just for fun, but it turns out super awesome!

The stones are breaking in nice. Looking forward to the ceramic and strops to arrive next week.

sksharp
    Participant

I thought you would get good results and faster than you thought! What did you actually think of the WE sharpener after that experience? I don’t think your stones are fully broken in yet so I’m interested in how you think your experience with the WE is going.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.