Advanced Search

Waiting the long wait in NV

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Waiting the long wait in NV

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Don Llewellyn
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 43

Hi all! I’m a former knifemaker – that ended after a little table saw accident but now I’m looking to get into sharpening with the WEPS. I ordered the Pro Pack plus some extra stones and strops and got the email saying it’ll be 6-8 weeks. Argh. How do you stand the wait? 🙂

Anyway, glad to be here and I’ll be reading all the posts.

Edwin Lurvey
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 80

Welcome! I have been waiting about 9 weeks and mine isnt shipping for another 2 weeks. I wait anxiously with some of my knives falling into disarray and about 6 knives for others in the queue just so i dont run out of knives to sharpen or else i would use my current system. Cant wait!!!

Don Llewellyn
    Participant

Thanks for that – 11 weeks is a looong time! I guess I’d better get going dulling all these knives I have so I have a supply to sharpen!

don griffith
    Participant
    • Replies: 51

Hi all! I’m a former knifemaker – that ended after a little table saw accident but now I’m looking to get into sharpening with the WEPS. I ordered the Pro Pack plus some extra stones and strops and got the email saying it’ll be 6-8 weeks. Argh. How do you stand the wait? 🙂

Anyway, glad to be here and I’ll be reading all the posts.

I am using a conbination of 2 methods. I continue to use my utilitarian Lansky. Every time I use it I find something new to pay attention to. I figure if I can put a decent edge on knives with it, I will be better positioned to take advantage of the new WEPS hardware.
    The second method is to dilute the suffering by spreading out said suffering over a larger area. So, I pre-ordered a new radar detector in early October, too, which also won’t be available till late November.
    Every time I complain about no radar detector, I’m not complaining about no WEPS!! :silly:

Don Llewellyn
    Participant

Good idea – I pre-ordered a Kindle Fire tablet from Amazon and it should be here within 2 weeks. I’ll concentrate on that! 🙂

David
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 47

It will be about 15 weeks for me by the time mine shows up. But it will be well worth the wait!

Don Llewellyn
    Participant

Wow 15 weeks! I guess the email I got about the 6-8 week wait is a little off…

don griffith
    Participant

Just informed that I’ve been pushed back another 2 weeks due to shipping difficulties. C’est la vie.

Edwin Lurvey
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 80

Just informed that I’ve been pushed back another 2 weeks due to shipping difficulties. C’est la vie.

What is your number?

don griffith
    Participant

What is your number?[/quote]Order Number: 2375
    Order Date: Thursday, 01 September 2011
    Order Status: Confirmed

No worries. It’ll get here eventually. Just in time to tell my wife I ordered it for Christmas and she doesn’t need to get me anything else!

On another note, I was mildly surprised to find out that there are ‘customs’ delays. I’m sure, and fully expect, that the workmanship production standards are high. It doesn’t mattter to me whether it comes from north or south of the border, or across the western pond, but if I’m paying money commensurate with a Made in the USA product, I fully expect to get an equivalent product.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Hi guys,
    We’re busily preparing everything we can in advance so when the sharpeners come in, all we have to do is QC and pack and ship. We’re going to be bringing on extra crew to help get them back out the door as quickly as possible. To all of you that have been waiting: A big thank you for hanging in there with us while you wait. I know it’s been frustrating. We’ve been getting a lot of emails from frustrated people and I definitely know where they’re coming from. If you have questions on your order, please give Kay a call in our office for a realistic ship date.
    –Clay

-Clay

Don Llewellyn
    Participant

As I posted in “Backlog Update” I went ahead and cancelled my order with WE and bought from Oldawan.com -My stuff is “out for delivery” on the UPS truck! Pics later after I get it!

Don Llewellyn
    Participant

I did get my package today – the Pro pack 1, some balsa strops and the 1200/1600 stones. The only problem is the base seems to have been drilled upside down as the sharpener doesn’t align right and is “askew” when mounted. Oldawan is having a new base sent out tomorrow.

I have tried sharpening one knife – a crappy Old Hickory butcher knife that I could never get an edge on. I used all the stones but didn’t get the edge I’d hoped for. I think I need to work harder getting the 100/200 scratches out.

EDIT: I did the same knife over again, this time following the directions on how to mount it in the sharpener. LOL It went much better this time and the knife came out much sharper. Not as sharp as I’d like but I’m still getting the “stroke” down. 🙂

Attachments:
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

That base definitely looks drilled upside down! :silly: A new one is en route. You’ll need time for your stones to break in, so more time with the finest stones is important, especially while the system is new. Did you get a burr raised from each side?

-Clay

Don Llewellyn
    Participant

I’ve done about 10 knives now and can actually see the burr develop – it’s neat! Have had great success on knives that weren’t that dull and turned them super-sharp.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.