Advanced Search

Victornox Forschner 10″ Cimeter/Butcher sharpening

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Tips for Specific Knife Grinds and Styles Victornox Forschner 10″ Cimeter/Butcher sharpening

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Matt simmerman
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 10

my friend is a butcher and has gifted me a knife. In kind I am trying to sharpen the 12″ and 10″ cimeter/Butcher knives. I am having a difficult time with the length of the blades and then the turn at the end. the bevel gets very large at the tip.

I am totally unhappy with this. 🙁 On one of the knives I sharpened the flat portion and then centered the tip (curved part of blade) and attempted to sharpen it. It looked really good but didn’t have quite the edge I expected. :unsure:

I am looking for some suggestions for this type of knife. :unsure:

I also had the same issue with filet knives. The handle end was great but as you approached the tip the bevel just got larger and larger.

Help!!! :ohmy:

thanks and Peace

Mat

Allgonquin
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 51

Hi GI, did you reposition the blade in the clamp? With long blades I usually sharpen the portion closest to the handle first, then reposition to closer to the tip in the clamp, and “blend” the sharpening. If you practice this with a few knives you can generally get it quite uniform along the length of the blade, and the tip won’t have such a bevel.

Rgds,

Matt simmerman
    Participant

Thanks Quinn, I did try that but with less than stellar results. Wondering if there aren’t a few trucks still left in the bag for knives like this.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt simmerman
    Participant

I am also trying to polish the sides of the above knife. My friend owned it for some time the knife has made many a fine steak (he is a meat cutter by trade). I have sampled a few of them myself

it has some deep scratches in the sides from past sharpening and abuse. I would like to polish to a mirror.

I have tried sandpaper on a 2×4 amd held it flat while stroking the knife. I am at 1000 grit with that process right now and as you can see it isn’t quite there yet.

any suggestions or helpful techniques would be great

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Hey GI, welcome to the forums! Can you show us a pic of when you have it clamped into the WEPS vise when you are having this problem? a pic from the side preferably… If it is getting a wider bevel at the tip there could be one of two issues:

1. You may not have the blade positioned properly in the vice (front to back); if you haven’t already, look under the “resources” tab at the top of the WEPS website and check on the wiki, there should be an article in there on “finding the sweet spot.”

2. It could be due to the grind of the blade and it getting thicker near the tip. If this is the case, the bevel will get wider unless you change your sharpening angle near the tip, or re-grind the primary grind/face of the blade and thin it out near the tip.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.