Advanced Search

Victorinox Skinner bound for Savannah, Ga.

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpening as a Business Victorinox Skinner bound for Savannah, Ga.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

Decided to sharpen that long Victorinox slicer I picked up sat. from thrift store and get my buddy Geo. To ship it to Russo Seafood in Savannah, Ga in a box of fish. – below is a link to their seafood market.
    http://www.russoseafood.com
    Below is the link to the leather strops and compound that many use.
    http://www.dlttrading.com/bark-river-sharpening-accessories.html
    Hope to see the sea soon – cabin fever bad.
    Video is like almost 17 mins. –

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Nice work. Bevel looks even. Where/how did you clamp it to get the “sweet” spot correct? This looks like a hard knife to get a uniform bevel on.

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

Nice work. Bevel looks even. Where/how did you clamp it to get the “sweet” spot correct? This looks like a hard knife to get a uniform bevel on.

just click in video link and see: 1:04 min. mark

Geocyclist
    Participant

Interesting. What do you use in the vice to hold the full flat grind knife? Looks like white felt.

Does this shim the knife evenly left/right?

I am currently using moleskin on both sides of the vice for full flat grind knives. But I have to add 3 or more layers of blue painters tape to the left side of the blade to shim out and get the angle even left to right (as the blade sits in the vice relative to the base).

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Here’s something you can try. I tried this on my Spyderco with the full flat grind. I found I could shim it, but each time it came out to a different angle and I was looking for repeatability.

I noticed that there was a lot of flexibility in the position of the right (movable) side and decided that maybe the jaws could accommodate the angle difference. With both screws backed out and while holding the blade in position on the key pins, I pinched the top of the two vise halves together so that they were flat against both sides. This cants the bottom of the movable jaw out quite a bit. I snugged up the upper screw very lightly, then ran the lower screw all the way in to achieve the final clamp. This clamps the jaws tightly and uniformly against both flats of the blade as shown in this photo. My jaws normally read 13.3 degrees and in this case you can see the right jaw sits at 16.75 degrees.

Obviously, this setup puts the blade’s vertical centerline out of its normal vertical position. This knife has a 3.5 deg difference between the flats on one side and the other. With the jaws canted, the blade leans 1.75 degrees to the left, so I set the left sharpening angle 1.75 deg less than normal and the right angle 1.75 deg more than normal. I’m sure that this arrangement violates some law of the universe, but my knife doesn’t know the difference.

To speed things up, I’ll reverse my angle bar so the thumbscrews aren’t fighting the detents when I try to make half-degree adjustments without skewing the micro-adjusts for the ball joints.

I think the jaws will accommodate an angle difference of up about four and a half degrees. I’m hoping to stir up a hornet’s nest on this so someone can set me straight before lightning hits me.

Attachments:
    Geocyclist
    Participant

Thanks for the good write up and photo. I had thought about this as well before. I agree, if you measure both side and just do the math it should work?

I too wonder what others will say about this.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Haven’t actually done it… but it seems right to me.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.