Advanced Search

Using water and scrubbing motion, first true mirror edge!

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Using water and scrubbing motion, first true mirror edge!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Patrick Martin
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 26

Well I was messing around and I wanted to try a different method. So I tried using a little water while using the stones and I can just feel it doing more. I just get a cup and dip my finger in it and rub it on the stone a few times, only enough so it doesn’t drip off the stone. The water really does help keep them unclogged. I did however find with the ceramic 1200/1600 it wasn’t helping, at least to me. Also wanted to see what happened if I did the scrubbing motion all the way through the process. I tried this because I can’t do the sweeping motion back and forth, mainly because of my left hand. So i would work on one side at a time, sweeping upward. I noticed that as much as I tried I would see scratches here and there. Also I saw on a video that when you put the stone on the knife as you start your stroke, you can put micro chips in the edge, and that person said he uses the scrubbing motion to solve that. Well with the combination I tried it’s the sharpest edge yet for me. My question is will this wear the stones out? Also was the life expectancy of the stones? I know there’s a billion variables, but just curious. When I scrub I’m using less and less force as I progress up in grit. If anyone has any thoughts, ideas or notes on this I would greatly appreciate it. Hope everyone has a safe and fun holiday.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Cakes, try to add a drop of dish detergent to your water when using the ceramic stones.

As to your question of sweeping versus scrubbing motion, I have never noticed this has an impact on blade chipping. It is important, however, not to use too much pressure, which you say you don’t. I also don’t think the stones wear faster using any method.

And a fun holiday to you too!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Two possible things come to mind firstly damage can be caused by slapping the stones onto the bevel (I suspect this is where micro chipping may happen) so avoiding a slap is the aim.
    The second point with water is to use a spray to spritz the stones and as you say a tiny bit of detergent is the water does no harm.
    It is good to clean off ceramics with an abrasive cleaner like Ajax since the ceramics will not cut once they are glazed over the same applies to Choseras although flattening them regally takes care of the glazing .

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.