Advanced Search

Unusual Knife Shapes/Sizes Sharpened – Photos

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Tips for Specific Knife Grinds and Styles Unusual Knife Shapes/Sizes Sharpened – Photos

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Have a picture of an “unusual” or different knife style you’ve sharpened?

Post it here, preferably clamped in the Wicked Edge, to show how it was done.

I “stole” a couple of pictures to show some ideas get started (thanks Ken and Craig!) 🙂

(From KenBuzbee… a Spyderco Balance)

(From CraigDavis… the top of a Trout and Bird knife)

(I [strike]hope/plan[/strike] started to also add them to a Wiki page as a reference).

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

I’m flattered, Curtis!

Looking forward to seeing some other nonstandard mounts.

Ken

Tom Whittington
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 159

Somewhere around here I still have pictures of that Puma Waidblatt I sharpened. I should revisit that critter and polish it further, then take new images. It was definitely a learning experience!

I wish I had a picture but I did a 1″ Buck “metro” which is a little liner lock blade on a bottle opener. It was surprisingly easy to do once I figured out a good reference for the clamp! The settings and notes are in the knife database.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

How funny… I did a search to see what a Puma Waidblatt was, and your old thread was the first link..

A big honkin machete!

Big knife! Looks like you had to support the end.

Throw more pictures up if you got ’em!

Thanks!

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

Opinions on a good grit for a machete? 1000? Finer?

Ken

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

Ken,
    I have been playing with a Cold Steel Kopis Machete, my first try I took it to 1000grit, beat the generous out of it then took the edge to near mirror.
    It was a great way to waste hours and hours.
    At this point, I think more than 600 is a waste of time, as the steel is junk and no matter what I do, do it dulls and dings fast.
    Just my .02

Tom Whittington
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 159

I agree, beyond 600 you’re just wearing your arms out 🙂 I’ve used both the Puma and a larger Cold Steel “magnum” kukri at 600 and they perform well for the types of chopping and hacking machetes handle. I may polish up the Puma a bit and take some more pics though!

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

I agree, beyond 600 you’re just wearing your arms out 🙂

Thanks guys. Mostly I wanted something to “tame” my new 50/80 stones before I put them on a knife. So I dug out an old machete.

This is a 22″ Collins machete. I bought it around 1983 when I was doing field work (surveying) It always took (and held) a great edge but was a bear to sharpen. Haven’t really touched it in 20 years and it had really fallen into a bad state of disrepair. Took about 3 hours of sanding just to clean it up. Mounted it on the WEPS to hit just the strike zone (I didn’t see any reason to go beyond mud blade down to the handle) Worked through the 50/80s up to the 1000s. Once I finished the 50s the rest went very quickly. Took it out to do some pruning I would have typically used pruning shears for and it did a great job. Nice clean cuts. After about an hour I don’t see any wear to it. I think my old friend is back in service.

Ken

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.