Advanced Search

Two Question regarding Glass Platen and Lapping Film

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started Two Question regarding Glass Platen and Lapping Film

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Thomas
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 12

Hello,

after receiving my Pro-Pack III I’ve sharpened 4 knives and I’m very satisfied with the results. The system is as simple as I had hoped for. Also finding the sweet spot and a given angle is really easy using an USB-microscope. I’m really happy with my new toy. 🙂

But I have two questions that the manual doesn’t answer.

First: How and when do I use the glass platen? I’ve used it after the 1500 diamond stone on the other side but is this correct or should I use it after the leather strops? Do I have to use the glass platen like the leather stropping only edge trailing?

Second: What can I do with the 6 Micron Diamond Lapping Film included in the pack? Do I need an empty holder to put it on or is there any other way to use the films? And when do I use this? After the 1500 stone and before the glass platen?

Thank you and greetings,

Thomas

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Thomas, this is from the W.E. website “Knowledge Base”.

Please check it out: https://support.wickededgeusa.com/portal/kb/articles/lapping-films-what-they-are-and-how-to-use-them

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

The glass is intended to be the surface that you attach the diamond lapping film onto. Glass on its own will have almost no effect on your edge. The diamond film has an adhesive on the back that sticks to the glass. The 6 micron film works really well after the 1500 diamond stone.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Try to make sure the glass surface is cleaned and dust free before adhering the lapping films.  A single spec of dust can make a tiny bump in the film’s surface that may effect how the film works.

Strops are always the last step for me.  I finish every sharpening and polishing progression with the strops.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.