Advanced Search

today at the Farmers Fare -another WE great day

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Advanced Techniques and Sharpening Strategies today at the Farmers Fare -another WE great day

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

Well the Farmers Fare was pretty good today. Weather held off and everyone came out for a spin, sales were great for all the vendors including me.
    Got set up by 8:30 and the first knife customer dropped 3 henckels on me and one was serrated job. : – (
    After that is was 5 and 1 set of scissors, then 4, 1 and finally 1 big dexter. = 14 knives. I did lose two pocket knives due to time restraints today. I got back from a fellow from 4 weeks ago – you remember the batch of knives I had with the Chinese cleaver – same guy, he dropped one of his knives and broke off about the same amount of the tip as did Jonathan. Told me he got the knife from Germany before the split when it was east and west even. – I do not remember this knife, but he said it was in the batch with the cleaver. We will check it out soon.
    ON A SIDE NOTE: I took a lead from Jed Bowen from the forum – the post on PRICES. – STARTED MOST TODAY WITH 80 GRIT PADDLES and ended with old 600’s………1200 ceramics…………coarse/fine ceramics. – worked good and speedy. I like speedy –thanks for that tip Jed.
    On to the grass and then the land of nada weather permitting – :(…vid is a shade long today.—:whistle:….2 0 MINS
    Good day on the beach today – 1 nice yellow ticket tooooo.

Jason Reep
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 11

Nice work Max looks like you were busy for sure today.

Jason

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

I like the knife sleeves I take it they have your details on . Another thing that I doubt I can get here.
    When necessary if the knives I get are not wrapped separately then I put book binders on them.
    Here is a picture of a 3€ knife that I have for experimental sharpening with said binder on.

Attachments:
    tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

I like the knife sleeves I take it they have your details on . Another thing that I doubt I can get here.
    When necessary if the knives I get are not wrapped separately then I put book binders on them.
    Here is a picture of a 3€ knife that I have for experimental sharpening with said binder on.

i add stick on name plate

Attachments:
    Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

I like the SHarp warning .
    I also have a Tormek sharpener at home and they come with a packet of plasters sort of broadcasts how keen the blades are after sharpening.
    Someone told me that their father had a sharpening business in Germany and he used to supply plasters when he returned the knives which had his company name on .
    It conveys a positive message that the knives are scary sharp as well good advertising I think.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Well the Farmers Fare was pretty good today.

Lookin good…. I heard someone say, you’re the only one around sharpening, so looks like you’re set for as long as you want to do it.

Did you check the KnifeSleeves website[/url]? It looks like they would ship to you…

Jed Bowen
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 57

Max
    Sounds like you are getting faster with the sharpening process. I am glad my idea was some help to you in speeding up or streamlining the operation. Hopefully this may help some too. I keep trying different things as I go to save time and still give the customer a well sharpened knife. I keep thinking of “Six Sigma” in the way of trying not to repeat unwanted steps in my process and keep the same end product.

1)I have been just using the brown coarse ceramic and leaving off the white fine ceramic lately to keep up the pace at the market. This eliminates one step but I also need to see how it does using the white fine ceramic and leaving off the brown coarse then stropping with just the 1 micron side of the paddle.

2)Another thing that helps for me is sharpening like size and thickness blades in batches too. With this I mean doing a couple of 8″ chef knives with the same thickness blades at the same time. So I can set up the first one to 25 degrees on each side on the bottom holes, eyeball the fwd and aft placement then sharpen knife #1. Then knife #2 & #3 that are similar so I do not adjust the angle of the arms and keep the next knives in the bottom bole and eyeball the fwd and aft adjustment once again. This step saves me I would say roughly 2 minutes per blade I would say eliminating this step. The setup of using the alignment key and the alignment guide take precious time, then the angle adjustment takes more time even with keeping the angle within my allowed +/- 1 degree tolerance. This theory works great for the fellas with the 2 or 3 blade pocket knives because the blades are the relative thickness and you can not use the top or bottom hole with the alignment key. Then set your angle for the large blade then the other blades I just clamp up as I think they need and using the same angle set from the large blade then sharpen.

Also with this I can charge $10 for the 2 or 3 blade pocket knives and they do not feel like they were getting taken for their money.

Hope this helps some
    Jed

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

saturday i got lucky i think.

the first knive customer brought me 3 henckels – i started with the 8″ santoku and matching the angle at 22* + – so i sharped his other 3 same setting.

well i ened up never changing from 22* + —sharpened remaining 11 knives like that and really helped with time.

what took the most time was the last knife – the big dexter – it was loaded with micro chips, but it had been sharpened pretty good when she handed it to me. i started out with the 50 grits on it (for 2nd time in one day)…..got a really good burr and worked left side – same, then i removed the 50 and used the 80 side of paddle and scraped off all the burr and chips by running over top of blade 3 or 4 times. then i reworked the burr and finished up. – it turned out rather nice for old dexter and sharp.
    hey curtis
    Lookin good…. I heard someone say, you’re the only one around sharpening, so looks like you’re set for as long as you want to do it.
    there are just a few, but most are not close by this area.

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

The knife gig went pretty well again today.

Ended the day on time and brought 3 knives home to sharpen and repair one.

10 knives sharpened there, 1 set of scissors and some garden stuff – yea…no serrated tickets today and I gave 3 of my free knives away for 8 bucks stropping service.

See you Thursday for the afternoon fare.

Good luck to everyone. – vid is like 14 mins.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Your video is set to private… at least that’s what I’m seeing.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.