Advanced Search

to get the 2000-3000 wets..???

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat to get the 2000-3000 wets..???

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I’ve got the Celestron and it’s much, much faster than using a loupe.

adam egert
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 15
    Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

That is where I ordered it from.

adam egert
    Participant

That is where I ordered it from.

how is it? Does it really work?

Zamfir
    Participant

dunno yet. It is in the mail to me presently. I ordered it a couple days ago. I am sure it will take its sweet time getting here as cheap as it was.

I picked up this one and it works great! I just wanted some more magnification.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005CL1POW/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1413563747&sr=1&keywords=led+loupe

I have no idea how they can make money off of these. I also have the usb microscope but the loupes still get used a lot.

tcmeyer
    Participant

Zamfir:

Do you already have the microscope? Have you tried it?

Coincidentally, I made the mistake of blowing the dust out of mine today. Big mistake. There’s a reason they assemble these in clean rooms. Every time I took it apart the dust particles on the sensor and lens got worse. Well, I got almost two years out of it and used it in a dusty woodshop environment, so I’m pretty pleased,even though I’ll have to buy another. Luckily, they’re cheaper now than when I bought mine.

Tom

Zamfir
    Participant

Ohh yeah. It works great! Great for showing me how I was not done sharpening yet..lol.

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

😆

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

tcmeyer
    Participant

Zamfir:

Well, I’ve got a new Celestron on order, so my old one is a candidate for experimentation. As a result of my technique, where I slide the ‘scope along the edge, looking for imperfections, I’ve created a pair of grooves in the clear acrylic shroud. They actually help to position the camera, but the acrylic doesn’t particularly get along well with a toothy edge and sliding can be difficult at times. Today, I made a ring out of teflon tape and pressed it onto the face of the shroud. Huge improvement. It slides like deer guts on a doorknob and for sure I’ll be adding one to the new ‘scope when it gets here next week. Also, if and when the ring wears out, it’s easily replaceable.

The teflon tape is fairly expensive. I bought a roll from Amazon (supplied by Peachtree) which is 3″ wide and 0.015″ thick. A 48″ roll costs $7 plus $6 shipping. I ordered it when I had enough to qualify for free shipping. I could send you a small patch, enough to make a couple of rings if you want to try it. It doesn’t need to be pretty. In fact, if you make the opening rather samll, it’ll help to keep dirt out. I originally bought the tape to line the fence on my router table. Works great, lasts forever.

Zamfir
    Participant

Can you post a picture of what you did with the teflon tape? I admit, kinda brain dead right now and doing too many things at once..but your idea is not gelling. Probably because it makes sense and is easy..lol..

Thanks! I can totally see where the groove would start real quick like!

adam egert
    Participant

I’d like to see to. I ordered the cheep, microscope I posted.. Will see.. I will use my high speed USB to blowtorch modem and connect to the iPad and see how that goes. Any pics of the groove would be cool

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Just my 2 cents here. If you go with the water stones I would suggest starting 1000 and any other lower grit, 400, 600, or 800.

The 400 is a great starting stone after the 1000 diamonds. My seem like you are going backwards, but you really are not. They do a great job getting the scratches out from previous stones. When I use water stones I don’t use the ceramics. If you use the ceramics first then 2k/3k may be a good next step.

That being said, if you don’t get the scratches from the 100 diamonds cleaned up with the 200 or 400 diamonds then it is really hard to get them later on. Not only does cross hatching help clean up the scratches, it makes it easier to see how well your progress is on the next stone. If you only do one direction with the 200 and still see a cross hatch you know you need more time on the 200.

tcmeyer
    Participant

Zamfir:

Here are a couple of pix of the teflon spacer I’ve added to the face of my Celestron camera. The tape is actually a really slippery UHMW with a very aggressive adhesive on it. I cut a ring rather crudely, using a smaller ID than the shroud, just because it’s easier to work with. I trimmed it down with an Xacto knife. Still looks crude, but it makes a big difference. Wish I’d done it long ago.

If you know somebody who build cabinets or the like, they probably have some of this stuff lying around. They use it for lining drawer slides. I use it on my router table to make my fence more slippery.

Zamfir
    Participant

That makes sense now! Super idea! Thanks man!

tcmeyer
    Participant

Glad you like it. Just for general info, the ring shown in the pictures is made from a 0.015″ UHMW tape cut from a 3″ X 48″ roll of “UHMW Slick Tape” purchased from Amazon, supplied by PeachTree Woodworking. I also made a version cut from 3/4″ wide UHMW tape, creating a ring from two 180-degree crescents. Put the seams oriented at the top and bottom of the camera and they won’t interfere with sliding along the knife edge, which is normally done side-to-side.

Why did it take me two years to come up with this one? Geez!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.