Advanced Search

Throwing knives

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Throwing knives

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    SHVentus
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 64

Would you sharpen throwing knives?

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Why would you? I’m probably all wet here, but aren’t most throwing knives held by the blade end as they’re released? Seems to me that super-sharp isn’t such a good idea.

I did sharpen a dagger recently for a friend, but I was only able to do so because there was a flat area near the hilt where I could clamp it in the vise. Since the dagger was just for showing off, he got a pretty fair polish.

Another dagger recently stymied me, as there was no flat area, just the diamond profile throughout.

If you wanted to profile a faux edge on a blank cut to be a throwing knife, I’d head for my belt sander.

SHVentus
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 64

Just the tip, for better penetration and sticking, not the edge. Probably with a large obtuse inclusion angle for better retention.

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Id think that would be great, used to do a fair bit of throwing myself. Profile the tip for penetration and blunt the edge for safety. Should be an improvement overall.

So many things to sharpen, so little time. 🙂

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

So many things to sharpen, so little time. 🙂

Better than the other way around…….

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.