Advanced Search

the time has come!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mike
    Participant
    • Topics: 13
    • Replies: 33

ok ive finally got the funds together to order my wicked edge system and im so excited i want to order it today but im not sure. ive currently got $650 to spend. im really on the fence on getting the pro pack 2, or just getting the basic sharpener and upgrade from there. i added up everything that it would cost to equal the pp2 and the savings is around $50. (buying the pp2 versus buying the basic machine and upgrading to the pp2)

im not entirely sure if i even NEED the pp2. the knives i use for work have soft metal and i dont think they will be able to take a very fine edge. at the same time i want to p[ut a mirror polish on my pocket knives. if i can put a mirror polish on my work knives that’d be great as well.

im not sure what to do! i want to make the right decision here so that either A. i dont waste money by buying the pp2 and not using it fully or B. getting the basic sharpener and regretting not spending more on getting more stones, parts etc.

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

I was in the same boat and went for the basic with the upgrade.

You can always get the base get and upgrade later.

The biggest difference with the PP2 is the upgrade arms. If you want more control with setting the angle to 0.10 degree then get the PP2. Otherwise the base also works well.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

The upgraded arms are very nice, but You don’t need them to get good results. I would probably save the $ and put it into exactly what you NEED to get where you want.

So you want to be able to do basic working edge sharpening and mirrored edges?

mike
    Participant
    • Topics: 13
    • Replies: 33

The knives I use for work have soft metal which I’m not sure how acute of an angle I can get them to before the edge starts to chip. I’d love to be able to get a mirror edge on my work knives that’d be great. As for my pocket knives I’d like to be able to get screaming sharp mirrored edges.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

The knives I use for work have soft metal which I’m not sure how acute of an angle I can get them to before the edge starts to chip. I’d love to be able to get a mirror edge on my work knives that’d be great. As for my pocket knives I’d like to be able to get screaming sharp mirrored edges.

Get up through the 1k grit stones and some automotive sandpaper up through 2500 grit. Tape them to the 1k stones after you are done w/ them and progress up to 2500. Then You can have one set of strops – 5 and 3um and you should be there 😉 This is on the cheap but it works if you need it! Remember, technique is the most important part of this, which you will learn w/ experience.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

On those knives you most likely don’t want to put an angle < 15 degrees, so you don't need PP2 for that.

The basic version is also precise enough to produce mirror edges, for example in the way Josh proposed.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.