Advanced Search

The Farid K2 Rex 121 Folder has just arrived !

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos The Farid K2 Rex 121 Folder has just arrived !

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

That is surprising for such a steel, but it bodes well for developing a sharp edge and keeping it maintained. Many of the people who were buying were speculating that it would be difficult and time consuming to sharpen this kind of blade of REX121 Crucible steel.
    What angle or edge geometry do you think would be best for this blade Clay?

Leo

I’d heard from someone else that REX121 and diamonds work well together – seems to be the case. I’m not sure about the optimal angle, it’s something that you’ll have to test a little. I suspect that the 0.5um finish is probably too fine and that you’ll probably want a slightly coarser micro-bevel, but won’t really know until you start using it. I left at 20 degrees per side for now which seems reasonable. If you find that it holds up well, it might be fun to take it a little lower though I think this knife is designed for hard work, so maybe just leave it a little more obtuse…

-Clay

Xbander
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 68

Clay, Do you think the hardness. 68 / 70 RC. Is a factor in why the diamonds work so well?
    The new edge look incredible!

wickededge
    Keymaster

Clay, Do you think the hardness. 68 / 70 RC. Is a factor in why the diamonds work so well?
    The new edge look incredible!

That’s a tough question – I’ve worked with a lot of other super hard steels like the friction forged D2 from Diamond Blade Knives which also get into the 60s for hardness, some of the Hitachi steels, ZDP-189… they all feel and respond differently with the diamond plates, probably to do with wear resistance. I guess that the REX121 is hard and fairly tough but not extremely abrasion resistant.

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

A couple more photos:

-Clay

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

People who are interested in this knife might like to jump over to the Blade Forum and search ‘The Farid K2 Rex 121 Folder’ to see a review by an owner. To show the reliability of this edge for holding its sharpness, he hacked through 5/8 inch manila rope 412 times until his hand and wrist were numb and the blade still neatly sliced through a thin page of telephone book paper. The review is interesting. He made a 15 degree per side convex edge and is very happy with that. A good read.

Leo

Glen
    Participant
    • Replies: 12

Hello Leo,
    That is one interesting knife!
    Wish I had the budget to afford it.
    I wonder what REX 121 would be like in a Gyuto.
    I saw in another forum you may sell a Fallkniven PXL.
    How would you rate the 3G steel?
    Isn’t it great how far the Wicked Edge has come?
    Seems like yesterday but it’s been 2 years since you, I and a maybe a couple others were singing the praises of the WE at Knife Forums and we had only the original basic kit!

Kindest Regards,
    Glen

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Hello Leo,
    That is one interesting knife!
    Wish I had the budget to afford it.
    I wonder what REX 121 would be like in a Gyuto.
    I saw in another forum you may sell a Fallkniven PXL.
    How would you rate the 3G steel?
    Isn’t it great how far the Wicked Edge has come?
    Seems like yesterday but it’s been 2 years since you, I and a maybe a couple others were singing the praises of the WE at Knife Forums and we had only the original basic kit!

Kindest Regards,
    Glen

Glen my friend! How are you? Yes it is a great knife and one of a kind too.
    The 3G steel on the PXL is wonderful. It sharpens up nicely to give a frighteningly sharp edge and one that lasts and is easy to touch up with a few swipes of a strop.
    The WEPS has really come up in the world, you are correct. Remember the early days at that other forum and how they kind of smiled at us as one might to a child who doesn’t nderstand real life yet! LOL! Different story now eh mate.
    Good to hear from you Glen.
    Warmest regards
    Leo

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

This knife is now sold.

Leo

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

This knife is now sold.

Leo

Did you ever even get a chance to handle it? :unsure:

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

This knife is now sold.

Leo

Did you ever even get a chance to handle it? :unsure:[/quote]

No actually, I didn’t! But I will live vicariously through Clay’s work on it and James’ experiences with it. Sigh! You can’t have everything eh! So my math goes something like this…
    Leo – knives + sales= new home theater = old fart’s pleasure squared! ROTFLMFO!!:silly:

Leo

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Leo – knives + sales= new home theater = old fart’s pleasure squared! ROTFLMFO!!:silly:

That’ll work!!! 😉

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

This knife is now sold.

Leo

Did you ever even get a chance to handle it? :unsure:[/quote]

No actually, I didn’t! But I will live vicariously through Clay’s work on it and James’ experiences with it. Sigh! You can’t have everything eh! So my math goes something like this…

Leo[/quote]

I know that it is way off topic…but I would love to hear about your new home theater one day….

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Hi Phil
    My home theatre is not particularly fancy. I have a Denon 3312ci 7.2 receiver with 125 watts RMS per channel; I have an OPPO BDP-103 Blu-Ray Player which is probably one of the best you can buy. The TV I haven’t gotten yet until we move into the new house in a couple of weeks, but it will be between 47 and 55 inches, 3D capable and with an LED screen. Probably the fanciest things in my setup are my speakers which I built my self nearly 20 years ago using Dynaudio speaker drivers and cross-over components from Denmark. My two front speakers are columns, 2 way, 34x14x17 inches. They consist of a 10 inch woofer and a 1.1 silk dome tweeter each. The bottom third of each is filled with sand which cuts off the floor of the room from the vibrations that often plague other speakers with a deep bass response. Each one weighs in at 125 pounds. The cabinets are made from 1 inch MDF veneered with oak and the inner walls are thoroughly braced internally to minimize loss of power by allowing the walls of the speaker to vibrate overly. These Dynaudio drivers are the best money can buy and that company no longer allows the public to buy their drivers separately…you have to buy their complete speakers many of which run over 10K to purchase. My two rear speakers are also Dynaudio 2-way speakers with 7 inch woofers and the same 1.1 inch tweeters as the others. They are on stands of cherry matching the cabinets of the speakers. They are relatively smaller 20x12x9 inches, but the walls of the cabinets are very stiff and so it can belt out the sound. I chose 2-way configurations because that was what I could afford then. I have never been displeased with them. These speakers were tested at the University of Waterloo by experts who consult with speaker makers from all over the world and they found them to be of audiophile quality.
    I have yet to pick out a sub-woofer and center speaker to complete my 5.1 configuration, but I will do that soon. There you go Phil, not so fancy as one of the guys from the Knife Forum who has 13,000 dollars worth of electronics belting out the decibels, but I wager my speakers would stand up well to his.

All the best Phil
    Leo

Glen
    Participant
    • Replies: 12

Whew! Leo, thats quite a setup, makes my little KEFs and Onkyo 7.1 feel humble.
    Did you use a spectrum analyzer to set up your crossovers or determine them by speaker secifications?
    Also do you plan to match the center channel tweeter(s)with youre Dynaudios?
    Wish I could hear them.

Careful, LOL, I think audiophiles are at least as nuts as knife people!!

Glen

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Well we have a few things in common there Leo. I have a Denon 3808 ci in my main room, but I replaced a 10 year old 3802 in my bedroom with a 3312CI. I also have the OPPO 103. I really like it BTW. I got a Panasonic VIERA TC-P65ST50 65-Inch plasma set. I really do like the plasma displays … as long as your room is fairly dark… or you can control the lighting. LED/LCD still is not close in deep black detail.
    I also have speakers that I built, but close to 35 years ago. two 10s in a folded horn and originally a horn midrage and tweeter. I basically tweaked everything until they sounded good to me. Not really concerned about the golden ears out there, they don’t listen to it, I do. About a year back I replaced the top section of the cabinets with HSU research HB1 MK2 cabinets and went with them for the HC1 MK2 center channel and 4 more HB1 MK2 cabinets for the side and back surrounds. I added their VTF3-MK4 “True Subwoofer” to my existing AV123 MFW15 unit. It all works together well for me anyway.

I enjoyed hearing about you stuff. Makes me want to hear it one day…

Think about the Panny Plasma… they are kind of a dyeing breed, but in the right environment will give you a more pleasing picture than even the best local dimming LED lit LCD screen.

Thanks for the description…
    🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.