Advanced Search

The Farid K2 Rex 121 Folder has just arrived !

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos The Farid K2 Rex 121 Folder has just arrived !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Clay now has that fine folder in his hands. I am sure he will comment and perhaps put up some pictures as he plays with it. I have yet to see it myself so I too will have my eyes peeled for any bit of info on this rare knife.

Leo

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Clay’s probably chomping at the bit… new knife in…. must fix website… new knife in… must fix website. 👿

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Yep, something like that…

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

Here are a couple quick camera phone pics of the Farid knife:

Attachments:

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

And a couple more:

I’ll get more/better photos done when I’m not so immersed in the website migration.

Attachments:

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

Delving in a little, figuring out the angles and sweet spot etc… For the first try, I mounted the knife at the bottom location and at A.5 due to the steep drop off of the tip which is straight inline with the spine. I verified that the angle already ground on the knife was in the neighborhood of 20 degrees per side. Here are some pics:

Clearly the stone wasn’t tracking equidistant from the edge along the length of the blade, so I knew I’d have to move it forward, and there are some pretty obvious discrepancies between the two sides.

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

Next, I moved the knife forward until the tip was at B:

This position worked much better. I went on and tried B.5 and C for the heck of it but ended up coming back to B for the best fit.

-Clay

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Thanks Clay,

While the article about “finding the sweet spot” is well written and I followed it completely, this helped much more in my understand to see different settings and how the marker is removed.

I have not tried this many settings on one knife before, but now I will. With uneven factory bevels plus taking the angle more acute I wasn’t sure how I could tell anything by the marker, but these photos make it clear how different setting affect the bevel look.

cbwx34
    Participant

Don’t forget, this knife’s for sale (unless Clay already called dibs). 🙂

Recently I obtained a custom-made Farid Mehr Rex 121 steel folder with a titanium body. He made only 20 of them, so there are no others available anywhere in the world. I am going to sell my Farid folder for a bargain price…I paid $650 US for it, but I will sell it to a member of this forum for $525 US plus shipping. This is truly a collector’s item.
    Leo

http://wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=17&id=9055&Itemid=63#9055

CPM-REX-121 steel at 68-70 RC
    CPM REX-121 CHEMICAL COMPOSITION
    Carbon 3.40 %
    Chromium 4.00 %
    Vanadium 9.50 %
    Tungsten 10.00 %
    Cobalt 9.00 %
    Molybdenum 5.00 %

And it’ll come with a wicked edge! (sharpened not a sharpener….)

cbwx34
    Participant

Thanks Clay,

While the article about “finding the sweet spot” is well written and I followed it completely, this helped much more in my understand to see different settings and how the marker is removed.

I have not tried this many settings on one knife before, but now I will. With uneven factory bevels plus taking the angle more acute I wasn’t sure how I could tell anything by the marker, but these photos make it clear how different setting affect the bevel look.

Playin with a little program i had… here’s a side by side comparison of the tips.

Left A.5 setting Right B setting

Attachments:
    Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Great stuff Clay! Every time you work on a knife for us to see, I learn something else to add to my knowledge of sharpening. When I first started with the WEPS, the whole thing was more or less mechanical in nature, but watching you and others here too, the act of sharpening can also be an intellectual experience. Since that happens to be the way my mind works, I am improving my edges more and more as I watch and read your work and that of others here. It is an education.
    Tell me how the Farid knife opens and closes…is it smooth and is the lock-up strong. Obviously the knife is built like a tank with that super steel and titanium body, but is it more than just a super strong knife in your opinion?

Leo

wickededge
    Keymaster

You’re right Leo that it’s built like a tank but the action is smooth and the lock is very strong. It’s a no-frills work horse in terms of design but it has great visual appeal from the hammered Rex 121 and the matte gray titanium.

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

I just completed the initial bevel formation which took about 5 minutes per side to erase all the marker and grind marks. This is the second Rex 121 knife I’ve handled and each time I’ve been very surprised at how easily the diamond plates cut through the steel.

-Clay

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

That is surprising for such a steel, but it bodes well for developing a sharp edge and keeping it maintained. Many of the people who were buying were speculating that it would be difficult and time consuming to sharpen this kind of blade of REX121 Crucible steel.
    What angle or edge geometry do you think would be best for this blade Clay?

Leo

wickededge
    Keymaster

Here are a few pictures of the blade as it’s come along:

After the 1600# Ceramics

Stropped down to 0.5um on cow leather

I’ll get some better photos snapped with my big camera later, for now I snapped some quickly with my phone.

-Clay

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.