Advanced Search

The 2nd best tool to get….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Ok, maybe not the 2nd best, but if you sharpen folding knives, make sure you have the appropriate tool(s) to tighten and adjust your knife. Even out of the box, there are several adjustments and changes you can make (switching clips around, adjusting the pivot for better opening, centering blades, etc.) that make this a necessary item. I find myself reaching for this more often than just about any other tool. Especially helpful for fixing side to side blade play, and how tight a blade locks, these can often be “fixed” just by turning a screw a tiny bit!

Many folding knives use Star Bits, and while some knife manufacturers sell a tool set, you can pick one up at your local hardware store, for under $10. Here’s an example…

This may be a no-brainer to some, but I was amazed when I started sharpening knives for others, how many came in with loose screws, missing screws, and blades so loose they felt like they were about to fall out. Talking to the owners, they thought it took “special tools” to fix some of these problems. So, if you don’t have one, grab a set today! :cheer:

Attachments:
    BassLake Dan
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 110

yeh.. that’s prettyt cool but try this one…

It also tightens nuts, and most importantly it opens beer bottles!!! And besides it supports a real Oregon, USA knife maker..

cbwx34
    Participant

Glad you brought that up.

While there are a variety of options, that one won’t work. It doesn’t contain the right type of bits to work on most knives. (Or it would work, maybe, if you got the correct bits separately.)

One other thing I forgot to mention. If you need parts for a knife, some makers will provide them. Kershaw, for example, will send replacement screws, springs etc. for free. And if you call and ask, sometimes they’ll throw in the tool to work on the knife for no charge. I don’t know if others do… but it wouldn’t hurt to ask! 🙂

BassLake Dan
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 110

Glad you brought that up.

While there are a variety of options, that one won’t work. It doesn’t contain the right type of bits to work on most knives. (Or it would work, maybe, if you got the correct bits separately.)

well, that is a problem,.. nowadays you are likely to fine all sorts of bizarre fasteners on knives, and worst yet is there are usually three different sizes on one knife!~. Field stripping and repair is a thing of the past… so you are stuck to usually search out the correct bits to have on hand anyway.. then they will fit in the neat little magnetic 1/4″ holder for the CRKT.. and, anyway, after you use it to open a six pack the frustration level (of dealing with fasteners that you need a SEM to see..) usually levels off pretty good…

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Don’t forget locktite! I use the blue locktite all the time 🙂

cbwx34
    Participant

Loctite’s definitely in the kit too.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Not to be picky, but are not the “star” bits actually called Torx bits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx

If you go to a store asking for bits, they may know what you want if you ask for star bits, but a real tools store guy will definitely know Torx.

Just tryint to be helpful here, really!
    Phil

Many folding knives use Star Bits, and while some knife manufacturers sell a tool set, you can pick one up at your local hardware store, for under $10. Here’s an example…

Joyal Taylor
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 52

Along this same line:

If you run into a torx screw that is stuck, do you know any tricks to loosen it?

I like to disassemble/reassemble some of my knives but I have a couple of knives (Kershaw OSO Sweet, Byrd Cara Cara) with stuck screws that I may have to send back to the companies. I’ll do that as a last resort but I don’t like to feel defeated. I’ve tried loosen them with TuffGlide, WD40, PB Blaster, and even banging on the bit with a hammer. I’ve rounded off Torx bits as well as the screws trying to loosen them. I’ve tried using T7 bits in T6 screws. I have something called Micro-Grabit that is a screw/bolt extractor but I’m hesitating using it because it will distroy the screws and I’m not sure if I can get replacements.

The knife companies probably run into this problem often when they repair their knives. They must know how to deal with those badly stuck screws.

Anyone have other suggestions that have worked for you?

cbwx34
    Participant

If they have loctite on them… heat is the only thing I know that will loosen it… if you can’t otherwise break the bond.

Kershaw will send you screws. Go to http://www.kershawknives.com/contactus.php?brand=kershaw where it says “Subject” open the drop down box and click Warranty Service… some boxes will appear asking for your address, the model of the knife, and the parts you need… fill it out and just wait a couple of weeks, and they’ll show up!

cbwx34
    Participant

Not to be picky, but are not the “star” bits actually called Torx bits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx

If you go to a store asking for bits, they may know what you want if you ask for star bits, but a real tools store guy will definitely know Torx.

Just tryint to be helpful here, really!
    Phil

They’re sold under both… but good point!!

Joyal Taylor
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 52

Along this same line:

If you run into a torx screw that is stuck, do you know any tricks to loosen it?

I like to disassemble/reassemble some of my knives but I have a couple of knives (Kershaw OSO Sweet, Byrd Cara Cara) with stuck screws that I may have to send back to the companies. I’ll do that as a last resort but I don’t like to feel defeated. I’ve tried loosen them with TuffGlide, WD40, PB Blaster, and even banging on the bit with a hammer. I’ve rounded off Torx bits as well as the screws trying to loosen them. I’ve tried using T7 bits in T6 screws. I have something called Micro-Grabit that is a screw/bolt extractor but I’m hesitating using it because it will distroy the screws and I’m not sure if I can get replacements.

The knife companies probably run into this problem often when they repair their knives. They must know how to deal with those badly stuck screws.

Anyone have other suggestions that have worked for you?

Here’s how I finally got those stubborn torx screws out. I used a dremel to carefully cut a slot in the head of the screws and used a plain screwdriver to unscrew them.

Here’s one of the T6 torx screws (on the right) compared to untouched torx screws:

I’ll post this on BladeForums too.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.